We are fully certified specialist Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Arrange of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us completely placed to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner planning a brand-new project or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notice our knowledge and experience guarantees we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and consult with a Specialist Surveyor for friendly expert recommendations.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a making it possible for Act, insofar as it gives the owner of a home the legal right to undertake certain works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.

However, it also seeks to safeguard the interests of adjacent owners from any possibly unfavorable impacts that such works may have by enforcing a requirement that all adjacent owners be provided prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act provides for a necessary dispute resolution procedure moderated by a statutorily selected property surveyor or surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the implementation of any proposition so alerted.

Specifically, such notification should be served where the owner of a home (referred to as ‘the building owner’) intends to carry out any building work explained in Areas 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Keep in mind that it is only those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is restricted to the following:

The information that Notices need to supply in respect of works covered the above sections is different in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Section 6 Notifications are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notice associating with Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. It is very important to note that the credibility of any notification not offering all the relevant information or served in the incorrect way, could be available to challenge in Court.

There is no basic form of Notice although lots of people utilize those released by the RICS or variations added to the explanatory pamphlet released by the Department for Communities and City Government. Nevertheless, offered all the details required by the relevant area of the Act is present, an easy letter would be similarly valid.

Depending upon the scenarios of any offered job there might be more than one adjacent owner on whom discover requirements to be served in respect of the very same work and, when it comes to deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner may be besides an instant neighbour. It is always preferable to discuss the designated deal with adjacent owners before serving them with formal composed notice – a proposal well described may relieve concerns enough to prevent a dispute arising and prevent the necessity to designate surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the requirement to serve notice may be avoided:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory pamphlet states that some deal with a party wall may be so minor that service of notification under the Act would be typically considered as not essential and give as examples works unlikely to impact the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical circuitry or placing power sockets, and screws to support shelves, cooking area cupboards, and the like.
  2. Works under Area 2 of the Act offered that written authorization is obtained from all Adjacent Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The three types of Notification are understood, respectively as:

A party structure notice should be served at least 2 months before the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other 2 notices need to be served a minimum of one month prior to work commencing.

The compulsory details which Notices need to consist of are as follows:

Most of the pro-forma notices in use consist of the following details as a matter of course no matter the type of notice:

Section 10 of the Act stipulates that where an adjacent owner does not approval in writing to works notified by the structure owner under Areas 3 and 6, both parties must either settle on the appointment of a single surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Surveyor), or each appoint their own surveyor, to figure out by award matters in dispute in between the parties.

Where a project is straightforward, this might only include consideration of the time and way in which those works are to be performed. In more complex plans, thought will need to be offered to a commensurately greater number of aspects and undoubtedly appointed property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in respect of any matter connected with any work to which the act relates.

The exact same treatment is used to solve any subsequent conflicts in between neighbouring owners that may emerge in relation to the informed works, including any loss or damage suffered by an adjacent owner as a result of their execution.

Inactiveness on the part of the adjacent owner does not stop the statutory process. A conflict can arise by an adjacent owner actively dissenting, that is, communicating to the structure owner an objection in respect of some matter occurring out of or incidental to the works – the ways of making that objection are trivial, but if he stays silent, neither dissenting nor consenting for a period of 14 days after having been served with a Notification under either Area 3 or Area 6, the Act deems a dissent to have actually arisen in any event.

There is no considered dissent arrangement in Area 1 of the Act. A legitimate disagreement can still arise, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works notified under that section however just as regards actual dissent on specific grounds. An adjoining owner’s factors for contesting Area 2 and Area 6 works are hardly ever defined prior to the consultation of property surveyors and oftentimes not even then.

Where dissent has arisen, whether actual or considered, both owners are lawfully obliged to appoint an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not jointly settle on a bachelor, a surveyor each and if asked for to make such a consultation by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the request being served. Failure to comply, immediately gives the owner making the demand the statutory authority to select a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This procedure is set out in area 10( 4) of the Act.

Where two property surveyors are selected, they are required to agree upon the choice, in writing, of a third property surveyor who might be called upon by either of the surveyors or either of the parties to figure out the contested matters and make the necessary award. The third surveyor is never ever designated by anybody however the Act gives the person so picked the exact same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

Third property surveyors are most frequently hired where the two property surveyors have actually reached an impasse in their considerations over some particular point and frequently this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the fees of the surveyor appointed by the adjoining owner. Seldom will a third property surveyor be asked to draw up an award in respect of the whole works however might accompany one or other of the two surveyors to do so if the need arises.

There is no definition of who can be a property surveyor, however it ought to not be the same person that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be performed, who will pay the fees for the preparation of the award and inspection of the works to guarantee that they abide by the works, and who will pay for the works. They will typically be required to pay the charges and the expense of the works if the work is solely for the benefit of the building owner.

Parties have 2 week to attract the county court if they disagree with the award.

The Act permits access to the adjacent home for the functions of performing the works whether the adjacent owner gives permission or not, nevertheless they must be offered 2 week notice.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 means that from 6 April 2016, notifications and other documents can be served by electronic communications.

The information that Sees should offer in regard of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notice relating to Section 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. A legitimate dispute can still arise, and surveyors be appointed in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works notified under that area however only as relates to real dissent on specific grounds. An adjacent owner’s reasons for challenging Section 2 and Area 6 works are rarely specified prior to the visit of property surveyors and in many cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually emerged, whether real or deemed, both owners are legally required to designate a concurred property surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a single individual, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such a consultation by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the request being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web