Faulkners Surveyors use a series of structure surveying services specialising in Party Wall Services.

We pride ourselves on our versatility and individual participation towards our clients requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening team of surveyors with a wealth of skill, expertise and experience. If you are looking for an expert yet flexible approach to all your home matters then call Faulkners Surveyors for a helpful chat.

Our surveyors are managed by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and bring expert indemnity insurance coverage to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 is a making it possible for Act, insofar as it gives the owner of a residential or commercial property the legal right to carry out particular works that might otherwise make up trespass or nuisance.

Nevertheless, it also looks for to protect the interests of adjacent owners from any possibly adverse results that such works might have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be offered prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act attends to a compulsory dispute resolution treatment moderated by a statutorily appointed surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the execution of any proposition so informed.

Particularly, such notice should be served where the owner of a property (referred to as ‘the building owner’) intends to undertake any building and construction work explained in Sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Note that it is just those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is restricted to the following:

The information that Discovers must provide in regard of works covered the above sections is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those sections but the requirements of a Notice associating with Area 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. It is important to note that the credibility of any notice not supplying all the appropriate info or served in the incorrect way, could be open to challenge in Court.

There is no standard type of Notification although lots of people use those published by the RICS or variations added to the explanatory pamphlet issued by the Department for Communities and Local Government. Offered all the details needed by the relevant area of the Act is present, a simple letter would be similarly legitimate.

Depending upon the scenarios of any given project there may be more than one adjacent owner on whom observe needs to be served in regard of the same work and, in the case of deep excavations, an Adjacent Owner might be aside from an immediate neighbour. It is constantly more suitable to talk about the intended works with adjacent owners before serving them with official composed notice – a proposal well discussed might ease issues enough to prevent a conflict occurring and avoid the requirement to appoint property surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the requirement to serve notice may be avoided:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory pamphlet says that some works on a party wall might be so minor that service of notification under the Act would be generally considered not needed and give as examples works not likely to impact the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical circuitry or placing power sockets, and screws to support shelves, cooking area cabinets, and so forth.
  2. Works under Area 2 of the Act offered that written consent is obtained from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The 3 types of Notification are known, respectively as:

A party structure notice must be served a minimum of 2 months prior to the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other two notices should be served at least one month prior to work beginning.

The mandatory details which Sees must consist of are as follows:

Most of the pro-forma notices in use consist of the following information as a matter of course regardless of the kind of notification:

Section 10 of the Act specifies that where an adjacent owner does not approval in writing to works notified by the structure owner under Areas 3 and 6, both parties should either settle on the consultation of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (called the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each appoint their own surveyor, to figure out by award matters in dispute in between the celebrations.

Where a job is straightforward, this might only include consideration of the time and manner in which those works are to be carried out. In more complex plans, believed will have to be provided to a commensurately greater number of aspects and indeed selected property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter connected with any work to which the act relates.

The same procedure is utilized to solve any subsequent disagreements in between neighbouring owners that may occur in relation to the alerted works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjacent owner as a result of their execution.

Inactiveness on the part of the adjoining owner does not stop the statutory procedure. A conflict can emerge by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, interacting to the building owner an objection in respect of some matter arising out of or incidental to the works – the ways of making that objection are trivial, however if he stays quiet, neither dissenting nor consenting for a duration of 2 week after having actually been served with a Notice under either Area 3 or Section 6, the Act considers a dissent to have emerged in any event.

There is no deemed dissent arrangement in Area 1 of the Act. A valid dispute can still arise, and surveyors be selected in accordance with Area 10, in respect of works alerted under that section however only as relates to real dissent on particular grounds. An adjacent owner’s reasons for contesting Section 2 and Area 6 works are seldom specified prior to the visit of property surveyors and in most cases not even then.

Where dissent has occurred, whether actual or deemed, both owners are lawfully required to select a concurred property surveyor or, if they can not jointly settle on a bachelor, a surveyor each and if requested to make such a consultation by the other party, should do so within 10 days of the request being served. Failure to comply, automatically gives the owner making the request the statutory authority to designate a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This treatment is set out in area 10( 4) of the Act.

Where two property surveyors are appointed, they are obliged to agree upon the choice, in composing, of a third surveyor who may be hired by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to determine the disputed matters and make the needed award. The 3rd surveyor is never ever selected by anyone however the Act provides the person so selected the exact same statutory powers as the two property surveyors.

Third surveyors are most frequently called upon where the two surveyors have reached an impasse in their deliberations over some specific point and often this can be in regard on the reasonableness of the charges of the property surveyor selected by the adjoining owner. Hardly ever will a third property surveyor be asked to prepare an award in regard of the whole works however might join with one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the requirement occurs.

There is no meaning of who can be a property surveyor, but it should not be the same person that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and inspection of the works to make sure that they comply with the works, and who will pay for the works. If the work is entirely for the benefit of the structure owner, then they will usually be needed to pay the fees and the expense of the works.

If they disagree with the award, parties have 14 days to appeal to the county court.

The Act permits access to the adjoining property for the functions of performing the works whether the adjacent owner allows or not, however they must be offered 14 days notice.

NB: The intro of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 means that from 6 April 2016, notices and other documents can be served by electronic interactions.

The info that Notices must provide in regard of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those areas but the requirements of a Notification relating to Section 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. A legitimate dispute can still arise, and surveyors be selected in accordance with Section 10, in respect of works informed under that section but only as concerns real dissent on particular grounds. An adjacent owner’s reasons for disputing Section 2 and Area 6 works are seldom defined prior to the appointment of property surveyors and in lots of cases not even then.

Where dissent has developed, whether real or deemed, both owners are legally obliged to appoint a concurred surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a single individual, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such a consultation by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the demand being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web