Faulkners Surveyors provide a range of structure surveying services specialising in Party Wall Services.

We pride ourselves on our flexibility and individual participation towards our clients requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening group of surveyors with a wealth of skill, experience and expertise. Then call Faulkners Surveyors for an informative chat, if you are looking for a professional yet versatile approach to all your home matters.

Our surveyors are regulated by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and carry professional indemnity insurance coverage to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 is an allowing Act, insofar as it grants the owner of a home the legal right to carry out certain works that might otherwise constitute trespass or annoyance.

However, it likewise looks for to secure the interests of adjoining owners from any potentially adverse results that such works may have by enforcing a requirement that all adjacent owners be provided prior notice of them.

In addition, the Act offers a necessary conflict resolution procedure mediated by a statutorily selected surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the execution of any proposition so notified.

Specifically, such notice needs to be served where the owner of a home (known as ‘the structure owner’) intends to undertake any building work described in Sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Note that it is just those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is limited to the following:

The info that Observes should offer in respect of works covered the above sections is various in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Area 6 Notifications are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notice relating to Section 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. It is very important to keep in mind that the validity of any notification not supplying all the relevant information or served in the inaccurate way, could be open to challenge in Court.

There is no standard type of Notification although many people use those released by the RICS or versions added to the explanatory brochure issued by the Department for Communities and City Government. Offered all the details needed by the appropriate area of the Act is present, an easy letter would be equally legitimate.

Depending upon the situations of any provided project there might be more than one adjacent owner on whom observe requirements to be served in regard of the same work and, when it comes to deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner may be aside from an instant neighbour. It is always preferable to talk about the desired deal with adjacent owners before serving them with official written notice – a proposition well described may reduce concerns sufficient to prevent a conflict arising and avoid the requirement to appoint surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the need to serve notice may be prevented:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory booklet states that some deal with a party wall might be so minor that service of notification under the Act would be typically considered not needed and give as examples works unlikely to affect the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical wiring or placing power sockets, and screws to support shelves, kitchen cupboards, and the like.
  2. Functions under Section 2 of the Act provided that composed consent is gotten from all Adjacent Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The 3 kinds of Notification are understood, respectively as:

A party structure notice need to be served a minimum of two months prior to the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other 2 notifications should be served a minimum of one month prior to work starting.

The mandatory details which Sees must consist of are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notifications in use include the following details as a matter of course no matter the type of notice:

Area 10 of the Act specifies that where an adjacent owner does not permission in writing to works informed by the structure owner under Areas 3 and 6, both parties must either agree on the consultation of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each designate their own surveyor, to figure out by award matters in dispute between the celebrations.

Where a job is straightforward, this may only include factor to consider of the time and way in which those works are to be performed. In more complex schemes, believed will have to be offered to a commensurately greater number of factors and indeed appointed property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter gotten in touch with any work to which the act relates.

The same procedure is utilized to deal with any subsequent disagreements between neighbouring owners that might occur in relation to the informed works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjacent owner as a result of their execution.

Inaction on the part of the adjoining owner does not stop the statutory procedure. A conflict can emerge by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, interacting to the building owner an objection in regard of some matter developing out of or incidental to the works – the methods of making that objection are not important, but if he remains quiet, neither dissenting nor consenting for a duration of 2 week after having been served with a Notice under either Area 3 or Area 6, the Act deems a dissent to have occurred in any event.

There is no deemed dissent arrangement in Area 1 of the Act. A legitimate disagreement can still occur, and surveyors be selected in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works alerted under that section however just as regards real dissent on specific premises. An adjacent owner’s factors for challenging Area 2 and Section 6 works are hardly ever defined prior to the consultation of property surveyors and in most cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually emerged, whether actual or deemed, both owners are legally required to select a concurred surveyor or, if they can not jointly settle on a single person, a surveyor each and if requested to make such a visit by the other party, should do so within 10 days of the demand being served. Failure to comply, instantly provides the owner making the demand the statutory authority to appoint a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This treatment is set out in area 10( 4) of the Act.

Where two surveyors are appointed, they are required to agree upon the selection, in composing, of a third property surveyor who may be hired by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to identify the disputed matters and make the needed award. The 3rd surveyor is never appointed by anybody however the Act gives the individual so selected the same statutory powers as the two property surveyors.

Third surveyors are most frequently hired where the two property surveyors have reached an impasse in their considerations over some particular point and typically this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the fees of the property surveyor designated by the adjoining owner. Seldom will a 3rd surveyor be asked to draw up an award in regard of the whole works however may join with one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the requirement emerges.

There is no meaning of who can be a surveyor, but it should not be the same person that will supervise the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and assessment of the works to guarantee that they abide by the works, and who will spend for the works. If the work is entirely for the benefit of the structure owner, then they will typically be required to pay the costs and the expense of the works.

If they disagree with the award, celebrations have 14 days to appeal to the county court.

The Act enables access to the adjoining residential or commercial property for the purposes of performing the works whether the adjoining owner gives permission or not, however they need to be given 2 week notification.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 suggests that from 6 April 2016, notices and other documents can be served by electronic communications.

The information that Sees should offer in regard of works covered the above sections is various in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those areas however the requirements of a Notification relating to Area 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. A valid conflict can still occur, and surveyors be selected in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works informed under that section however just as regards actual dissent on particular premises. An adjoining owner’s reasons for disputing Area 2 and Section 6 works are seldom specified prior to the appointment of surveyors and in numerous cases not even then.

Where dissent has developed, whether actual or deemed, both owners are legally required to appoint an agreed surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a single individual, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such an appointment by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the demand being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web