We are totally certified expert Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Set up of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us perfectly placed to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner planning a brand-new job or a neighbour who has actually been served a Party Wall Notice our knowledge and experience ensures we are constantly best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and consult with a Professional Surveyor for friendly expert guidance.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that lots of people wanting to carry out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also understand it can be a daunting process for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which aims to provide a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to perform particular particular works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce disputes by ensuring homeowner alert their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for dealing with disputes and making it possible for works to continue. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or surveyors will identify the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls normally different buildings belonging to different owners but might consist of garden walls developed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size structures often only the part that is used by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of due to the fact that the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not belonging to a structure) which stands on lands of various owners and is used or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, but does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached exclusively by separate staircases or different entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can just be done after alerting the adjacent owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not restricted to):.

If it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line), notices are likewise required. A party wall surveyor will typically be able to verify which work is notifiable and advice the notification period and kind of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain particular kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It must not be viewed as a technique of objecting to or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to minor jobs that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is generally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The operations of the Act are always initiated by the of releasing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the concern of legitimate notices, no more action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Composed notification should be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners must be served a notification and there are most likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will also require a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notifications need to consist of the following details as a minimum:.

It is essential to include the appropriate information on a notice as, if they are considered void, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Actions To Notices.

On receipt of a notice, an adjacent owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

In many cases, if the adjacent does not react within 2 week then a deemed dispute is said to have actually happened and the individual performing the work needs to appoint a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners supply composed consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to resolve and no more need for party wall property surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no more participation is required.

Handling Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is gotten and a considered dissent has actually emerged) then a dispute has taken place which must be resolved under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves restating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from taking place and it uses a path to end disputes at every stage. Where composed arrangement is not given, the service the Act provides is for both parties to appoint an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a property surveyor who in turn select a 3rd property surveyor. The surveyors then collaborate to concur the terms under which work may proceed. The property surveyor( s) will review the plans, notifications and structural information of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape-record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent property prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act however is thought about good practice and is appropriately provided by most great surveyors). The award might likewise approve access to both homes so that the works can be safely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in development.

Usually, the building owner who began the work pays for all expenses of work and the reasonable expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the property surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous people wishing to bring out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which intends to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when developing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to carry out particular specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who may be affected by that work. Written notice must be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web