We are completely certified expert Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Set up of Condition reports and lawfully serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us perfectly positioned to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner planning a new task or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notice our understanding and experience guarantees we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and consult with a Specialist Surveyor for friendly expert advice.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 is an enabling Act, insofar as it gives the owner of a home the legal right to undertake particular works that might otherwise make up trespass or annoyance.

It likewise seeks to safeguard the interests of adjoining owners from any possibly unfavorable impacts that such works might have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be provided prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act offers a necessary dispute resolution procedure mediated by a statutorily appointed property surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the application of any proposition so informed.

Particularly, such notice should be served where the owner of a property (referred to as ‘the structure owner’) plans to undertake any building work described in Sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Note that it is only those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is restricted to the following:

The information that Sees need to provide in regard of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those areas however the requirements of a Notice relating to Area 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. It is essential to note that the validity of any notice not offering all the appropriate details or served in the incorrect manner, could be open up to challenge in Court.

There is no standard kind of Notification although many people utilize those released by the RICS or variations appended to the explanatory pamphlet released by the Department for Communities and City Government. Nevertheless, provided all the info required by the pertinent area of the Act is present, a simple letter would be equally legitimate.

Depending upon the situations of any provided task there might be more than one adjacent owner on whom notice needs to be served in regard of the same work and, in the case of deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner may be aside from an immediate neighbour. It is always more suitable to talk about the intended works with adjoining owners prior to serving them with formal composed notice – a proposition well discussed may alleviate concerns enough to prevent a dispute emerging and avoid the requirement to appoint property surveyors.

There are two exceptions where the requirement to serve notice may be prevented:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory pamphlet says that some works on a party wall might be so minor that service of notification under the Act would be typically considered as not needed and give as examples works unlikely to affect the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical wiring or inserting power sockets, and screws to support racks, cooking area cupboards, and so on.
  2. Works under Section 2 of the Act offered that composed authorization is gotten from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The three kinds of Notice are known, respectively as:

A party structure notification need to be served a minimum of 2 months before the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other 2 notices need to be served at least one month prior to work starting.

The obligatory information which Sees need to contain are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notifications in use include the following info as a matter of course no matter the type of notification:

Section 10 of the Act specifies that where an adjoining owner does not consent in writing to works informed by the structure owner under Areas 3 and 6, both parties must either settle on the appointment of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each designate their own property surveyor, to identify by award matters in dispute in between the parties.

Where a project is straightforward, this may just include consideration of the time and way in which those works are to be carried out. In more complex schemes, believed will need to be offered to a commensurately greater number of factors and indeed appointed property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter connected with any work to which the act relates.

The exact same procedure is utilized to fix any subsequent conflicts between neighbouring owners that might develop in relation to the alerted works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjoining owner as a result of their execution.

Inactiveness on the part of the adjacent owner does not stop the statutory process. A dispute can occur by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, communicating to the building owner an objection in respect of some matter occurring out of or incidental to the works – the ways of making that objection are not important, but if he stays quiet, neither consenting nor dissenting for a duration of 14 days after having been served with a Notice under either Section 3 or Section 6, the Act considers a dissent to have actually emerged in any event.

There is no deemed dissent arrangement in Area 1 of the Act. A valid conflict can still occur, and surveyors be selected in accordance with Section 10, in respect of works informed under that section however only as relates to real dissent on specific grounds. An adjacent owner’s factors for contesting Section 2 and Section 6 works are rarely defined prior to the visit of property surveyors and in a lot of cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually emerged, whether actual or deemed, both owners are lawfully obliged to designate an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not jointly settle on a bachelor, a surveyor each and if requested to make such a consultation by the other party, should do so within 10 days of the demand being served. Failure to comply, immediately provides the owner making the demand the statutory authority to designate a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This procedure is set out in section 10( 4) of the Act.

Where 2 property surveyors are appointed, they are obliged to agree upon the choice, in writing, of a 3rd surveyor who might be hired by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to identify the disputed matters and make the needed award. The third property surveyor is never ever designated by anyone however the Act offers the individual so selected the same statutory powers as the two property surveyors.

3rd property surveyors are most typically called upon where the two property surveyors have actually reached an impasse in their considerations over some particular point and typically this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the costs of the property surveyor designated by the adjoining owner. Seldom will a third surveyor be asked to draw up an award in regard of the entire works but might join with one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the need develops.

There is no definition of who can be a surveyor, however it must not be the same individual that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and assessment of the works to ensure that they abide by the works, and who will pay for the works. They will normally be needed to pay the fees and the expense of the works if the work is entirely for the advantage of the structure owner.

Celebrations have 2 week to appeal to the county court if they disagree with the award.

The Act allows access to the adjacent home for the functions of carrying out the works whether the adjacent owner allows or not, however they must be provided 2 week notice.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 means that from 6 April 2016, notices and other files can be served by electronic interactions.

The details that Observes must offer in regard of works covered the above sections is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those areas but the requirements of a Notice relating to Section 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. A valid conflict can still emerge, and surveyors be appointed in accordance with Section 10, in regard of works informed under that section however only as relates to actual dissent on specific grounds. An adjoining owner’s factors for disputing Area 2 and Section 6 works are seldom defined prior to the appointment of property surveyors and in many cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually arisen, whether real or deemed, both owners are legally obliged to designate a concurred property surveyor or, if they can not jointly concur on a single individual, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such an appointment by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the request being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web