The Faulkners Surveyors is a specialist Chartered Building Surveying Practice that runs throughout UK. The Faulkners Surveyors carries out all elements of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 and offers the following services:

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wanting to perform deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also comprehend it can be an overwhelming process for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “novices guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to perform certain specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to prevent or minimise conflicts by making sure property owners alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a mechanism for solving conflicts and allowing works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually separate structures coming from different owners however could include garden walls constructed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size structures frequently just the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included since the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not belonging to a building) which bases on lands of different owners and is used or constructed to be used for separating such adjoining lands, but does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached solely by different entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain items of work that you can only be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not limited to):.

Notifications are also needed if it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall surveyor will typically be able to verify which work is notifiable and recommendations the notice duration and type of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular particular types of work and is permissive in nature. It should not be viewed as an approach of challenging or avoiding works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notification.


The workings of the Act are constantly prompted by the of releasing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the problem of valid notifications, no additional action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice should be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners need to be served a notice and there are likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining home and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will also require a notification to adjoining owners living above or below.

Valid notices should include the following information as a minimum:.

It is important to include the appropriate details on a notice as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On receipt of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

In many cases, if the adjacent does not respond within 2 week then a considered disagreement is said to have taken place and the individual carrying out the work should select a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners offer composed grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no conflict to deal with and no further requirement for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notice is triggered, then no additional participation is essential.

Solving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is received and a considered dissent has actually arisen) then a dispute has occurred which need to be fixed under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth restating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it uses a route to end disputes at every stage. Where written arrangement is not offered, the service the Act supplies is for both celebrations to select an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a surveyor who in turn designate a 3rd surveyor. The surveyors then interact to agree the terms under which work might continue. The property surveyor( s) will examine the plans, notifications and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will usually tape-record the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent residential or commercial property prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about good practice and is appropriately provided by most good surveyors). The award might likewise give access to both properties so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can examine work in development.

Normally, the structure owner who started the work spends for all expenditures of work and the sensible expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the property surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of individuals wishing to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “newbies guide” which aims to provide an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to carry out particular specific works, including work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Composed notification should be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web