We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have over twenty five years experience of operating in UK, acting for specialists, companies, as well as for people.

Each short is distinct, and our dedicated group of party wall surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of concerns connecting to party walls. We are proud to use a bespoke service to match the differing needs of our clients.

This site is created to supply standard information along with providing you the chance to call us directly with your requirements and issues, thus enabling our professional Party Wall Surveyors to recommend you appropriately.

The existing legislation dealing with party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall and so on. Act 1996, which governs the rights and commitments of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, surrounding excavations and/or foundations (including piled foundations).

Our team of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors supplies a distinct niche service, which allows you to have the very best quality service at competitively priced charges.

For more details contact among our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall property surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wanting to carry out deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also understand it can be an overwhelming process for those that have actually not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to perform particular specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to prevent or reduce disagreements by making certain homeowner inform their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act offers a system for resolving conflicts and enabling works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically different structures coming from different owners however could consist of garden walls built astride a border– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size buildings typically just the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included since the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not becoming part of a building) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or built to be used for separating such adjacent lands, however does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached entirely by different entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to build a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line), notifications are also needed. A party wall property surveyor will generally have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and suggestions the notification duration and type of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to particular specific kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be seen as a method of challenging or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to minor tasks that do not affect the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notification.


The workings of the Act are always initiated by the of issuing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notifications, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Written notice must be served on adjacent owners a minimum of 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners must be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will also require a notification to adjoining owners living above or listed below.

Valid notifications should contain the following info as a minimum:.

It is important to consist of the appropriate details on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Responses To Notices.

On invoice of a notice, an adjoining owner has three possible courses of action:.

If the adjacent does not react within 14 days then a deemed dispute is said to have actually occurred and the individual carrying out the work must designate a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply written consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to fix and no further requirement for party wall property surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no additional involvement is required.

Handling Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is received and a deemed dissent has actually developed) then a dispute has actually happened which should be solved under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It is worth restating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it offers a path to end conflicts at every phase. Where composed agreement is not provided, the solution the Act offers is for both parties to select an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a property surveyor who in turn designate a third surveyor. The surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The property surveyor( s) will evaluate the plans, notifications and structural information of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent residential or commercial property before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered excellent practice and is duly supplied by a lot of good property surveyors). The award may also grant access to both homes so that the works can be safely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect work in progress.

Normally, the building owner who started the work pays for all costs of work and the reasonable expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous individuals wishing to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “novices guide” which aims to provide a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to bring out certain specific works, consisting of work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time protecting the interests of anybody else who may be impacted by that work. Composed notice should be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web