Faulkners Surveyors offer a variety of building surveying services specialising in Party Wall Solutions.

We pride ourselves on our versatility and personal involvement towards our clients requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening group of surveyors with a wealth of know-how, ability and experience. If you are trying to find an expert yet flexible technique to all your property matters then call Faulkners Surveyors for an informative chat.

Our property surveyors are managed by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and bring expert indemnity insurance coverage to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wishing to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise comprehend it can be a challenging process for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to supply an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to perform certain particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is developed to avoid or reduce disputes by ensuring property owners notify their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for solving disputes and making it possible for works to continue. It likewise requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically different structures coming from various owners but might include garden walls built astride a limit– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size buildings typically just the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included due to the fact that the provisions of the Act are not limited to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not belonging to a structure) which stands on lands of various owners and is used or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjoining lands, but does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached solely by separate entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either getting written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not restricted to):.

Notices are likewise needed if it is proposed to develop a new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall surveyor will typically be able to confirm which work is notifiable and suggestions the notice period and kind of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain particular types of work and is permissive in nature. It should not be seen as a method of objecting to or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is normally concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The workings of the Act are always initiated by the of releasing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notifications, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Written notice must be served on adjoining owners a minimum of two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners need to be served a notice and there are likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Works to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will likewise need a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notices should contain the following information as a minimum:.

It is vital to consist of the correct details on a notification as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Reactions To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

If the adjoining does not respond within 14 days then a considered conflict is stated to have actually taken place and the individual bring out the work must select a surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjoining owners provide written consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no dispute to deal with and no additional need for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within the notification and no damage is caused, then no additional involvement is necessary.

Solving Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is received and a considered dissent has actually emerged) then a disagreement has actually taken place which need to be fixed under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth reiterating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it offers a path to end conflicts at every phase. Where composed contract is not given, the solution the Act supplies is for both parties to select an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a property surveyor who in turn select a third surveyor. The surveyors then work together to concur the terms under which work might continue. The property surveyor( s) will review the plans, notifications and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will draw up a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally record the condition of the pertinent part of adjoining residential or commercial property before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered excellent practice and is appropriately offered by a lot of great surveyors). The award may likewise approve access to both properties so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect work in progress.

Normally, the structure owner who began the work spends for all costs of work and the sensible costs incurred by all parties as a result, this will include the surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous people wanting to bring out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which aims to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to bring out particular particular works, consisting of work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Written notice should be served on adjacent owners at least two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web