At Faulkners Surveyors we carry out Party Wall Surveys by knowledgeable and expert Party Wall Surveyors throughout the UK.

What is a Party Wall Award?

A Party Wall Award is an arrangement made in between at least two neighbouring occupiers prior to the start of construction/building work which is to be carried out to a party border or structure, or where works are being carried out in close distance to a party limit or structure. There are 3 primary types of work which require a Party Wall Property surveyor to perform a Party Wall Award and these are:

  • Line of junction (developing a brand-new wall on or alongside a limit).
  • Party Structure Works (works to an existing party wall such as cutting into, restoring, thickening and so on).
  • Nearby Excavation (excavations to a lower level within either 3m or 6m of an existing structure).

In London and throughout the UK, our experienced business structure surveyors perform a range of expert surveying services including Party Wall Surveys (Party Wall Awards). At Commercial Structure Surveyors we conduct Party Wall Surveys by professional and experienced Party Wall Surveyors throughout the UK.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wanting to carry out deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise comprehend it can be a complicated procedure for those that have actually not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “newbies guide” which intends to supply an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to perform certain particular works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce disputes by making certain homeowner notify their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a mechanism for resolving disagreements and making it possible for works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally different buildings belonging to different owners but could include garden walls built astride a boundary– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size buildings often only the part that is utilized by both properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not being part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is utilized or built to be utilized for separating such adjacent lands, but does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” indicates a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached exclusively by different staircases or separate entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can only be done after informing the adjacent owners and either getting written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not restricted to):.

If it is proposed to build a new wall on the line of junction (border line), notices are also required. A party wall surveyor will typically have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and recommendations the notification period and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular particular types of work and is liberal in nature. It should not be viewed as an approach of objecting to or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to minor jobs that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is typically agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notice.


The operations of the Act are constantly prompted by the of issuing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the problem of valid notices, no more action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice must be served on adjoining owners a minimum of two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notification and there are most likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent residential or commercial property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will also need a notification to adjoining owners living above or below.

Valid notifications must contain the following information as a minimum:.

It is essential to include the proper details on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On invoice of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

If the adjoining does not respond within 14 days then a deemed conflict is said to have happened and the individual carrying out the work should designate a surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjoining owners provide written grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no disagreement to resolve and no more need for party wall surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no further involvement is needed.

Solving Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is received and a considered dissent has arisen) then a dispute has actually taken place which need to be fixed under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth repeating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it provides a route to end conflicts at every phase. Where written contract is not given, the service the Act provides is for both celebrations to select an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a surveyor who in turn appoint a 3rd surveyor. The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work may continue. The property surveyor( s) will review the plans, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will prepare an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent property before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered excellent practice and is appropriately supplied by many great surveyors). The award might likewise approve access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can check operate in development.

Typically, the building owner who began the work pays for all costs of work and the reasonable costs incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the surveyors costs for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous people wishing to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to bring out particular particular works, consisting of work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Composed notice must be served on adjoining owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web