At Faulkners Surveyors we conduct Party Wall Studies by professional and skilled Party Wall Surveyors throughout the UK.

What is a Party Wall Award?

A Party Wall Award is an arrangement made in between at least 2 neighbouring occupiers prior to the beginning of construction/building work which is to be undertaken to a party limit or structure, or where works are being undertaken in close distance to a party border or structure. There are 3 main types of work which require a Party Wall Property surveyor to carry out a Party Wall Award and these are:

  • Line of junction (developing a brand-new wall on or alongside a limit).
  • Party Structure Works (works to an existing party wall such as cutting into, rebuilding, thickening etc.).
  • Nearby Excavation (excavations to a lower level within either 3m or 6m of an existing structure).

In London and throughout the UK, our knowledgeable industrial structure surveyors carry out a variety of expert surveying services including Party Wall Surveys (Party Wall Awards). At Commercial Building Surveyors we conduct Party Wall Studies by skilled and expert Party Wall Surveyors throughout the UK.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wanting to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction process. We also understand it can be an overwhelming procedure for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to perform particular specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to avoid or minimise conflicts by ensuring property owners notify their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act offers a system for fixing disputes and allowing works to continue. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically different structures coming from various owners however could include garden walls constructed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size structures typically only the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the arrangements of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, but does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed support of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached entirely by different entrances or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can just be done after informing the adjacent owners and either getting written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not restricted to):.

Notices are also needed if it is proposed to build a new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall surveyor will typically have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and suggestions the notification duration and kind of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular specific types of work and is liberal in nature. It ought to not be viewed as an approach of objecting to or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to minor jobs that do not affect the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is generally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The functions of the Act are constantly initiated by the of providing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notifications, no additional action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notification must be served on adjoining owners a minimum of 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners should be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining home and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjoining residential or commercial property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will also require a notification to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notifications should contain the following details as a minimum:.

It is important to consist of the correct details on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Responses To Notices.

On receipt of a notice, an adjacent owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a considered conflict is said to have actually happened and the individual carrying out the work should select a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners offer written grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to resolve and no further requirement for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work profits as detailed within no damage and the notice is triggered, then no more participation is necessary.

Handling Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is gotten and a deemed dissent has arisen) then a disagreement has occurred which need to be fixed under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth repeating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it provides a route to end disputes at every phase. Where written agreement is not offered, the solution the Act offers is for both parties to select an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a property surveyor who in turn designate a 3rd surveyor. The surveyors then collaborate to agree the terms under which work might continue. The property surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will prepare a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape-record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent home prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered excellent practice and is appropriately supplied by many good property surveyors). The award may likewise approve access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect work in progress.

Generally, the structure owner who started the work spends for all expenses of work and the sensible costs sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the surveyors charges for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of individuals wishing to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to bring out certain particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time securing the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Written notice needs to be served on adjoining owners at least two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web