Faulkners Surveyors As qualified and experienced Party Wall Surveyors we specialise in all Party Wall matters.
We cover every element essential to recommend upon and fix Party Wall issues, such as:

  • Preparing and serving valid Party Wall Notices
  • Acting as the Building Owners Party Wall Surveyor
  • Acting as the Adjoining Owners Party Wall Property Surveyor
  • Acting as the Agreed Party Wall Property Surveyor
  • Undertaking and preparing Schedules of Condition
  • Preparation and settlement of Party Wall Awards

All our Party Wall Surveyors are specialists and work in accordance with the regulations set down by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors.

The Party Wall Act and so on 1996 is law, failure to adhere to this legislation may lead to works being unlawful.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wanting to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be a daunting process for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “novices guide” which intends to supply an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring buildings, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to perform particular specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce disputes by ensuring property owners alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a system for solving disagreements and allowing works to proceed. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate buildings belonging to different owners but might include garden walls constructed astride a limit– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size structures frequently only the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the provisions of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which bases on lands of different owners and is used or built to be utilized for separating such adjacent lands, however does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached exclusively by separate staircases or different entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are particular products of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not restricted to):.

Notices are likewise required if it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall surveyor will generally be able to confirm which work is notifiable and recommendations the notice period and type of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain particular types of work and is liberal in nature. It should not be seen as a method of challenging or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is usually concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notice.


The functions of the Act are constantly prompted by the of issuing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the issue of valid notices, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification must be served on adjoining owners a minimum of two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notice and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining home and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjacent home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will also require a notification to adjacent owners living above or below.

Valid notifications need to include the following information as a minimum:.

It is important to consist of the appropriate details on a notification as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Actions To Notices.

On invoice of a notification, an adjacent owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a deemed disagreement is said to have taken place and the individual bring out the work needs to appoint a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners provide written consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to solve and no more need for party wall property surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notice is caused, then no more participation is necessary.

Resolving Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to concur the terms under which work may proceed. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notices and structural information of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will draw up a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be brought out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the pertinent part of adjacent home prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about great practice and is appropriately offered by a lot of great property surveyors). The award may also approve access to both homes so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in progress.

Normally, the structure owner who began the work spends for all costs of work and the sensible costs incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will include the property surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of people wishing to carry out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to carry out certain particular works, including work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time protecting the interests of anyone else who may be affected by that work. Composed notice must be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web