We are totally qualified expert Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Schedule of Condition reports and lawfully serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us completely put to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Building Owner preparing a new project or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notification our knowledge and experience ensures we are constantly best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and consult with an Expert Surveyor for friendly professional advice.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wanting to carry out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise understand it can be an overwhelming procedure for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to perform certain specific works, consisting of work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is developed to avoid or minimise disputes by making sure homeowner notify their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act offers a system for solving disputes and enabling works to continue. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually separate buildings coming from different owners but might consist of garden walls developed astride a boundary– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size buildings often just the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the arrangements of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not belonging to a structure) which stands on lands of various owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjacent lands, however does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” indicates a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached entirely by different entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are particular items of work that you can only be done after informing the adjacent owners and either getting written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not limited to):.

Notifications are likewise required if it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall property surveyor will normally have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and suggestions the notice period and type of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to particular specific types of work and is permissive in nature. It must not be viewed as a technique of challenging or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to minor tasks that do not affect the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is usually concurred that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notice.


The operations of the Act are always prompted by the of releasing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the concern of valid notices, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Written notification should be served on adjacent owners a minimum of 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will likewise require a notice to adjoining owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notices should include the following info as a minimum:.

It is necessary to include the proper information on a notice as, if they are considered void, then any subsequent actions are likewise invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On receipt of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a deemed dispute is stated to have actually occurred and the person bring out the work should appoint a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners provide written consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to fix and no additional need for party wall property surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within the notification and no damage is caused, then no more participation is required.

Solving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is gotten and a deemed dissent has emerged) then a dispute has actually taken place which should be fixed under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It is worth restating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it provides a path to end conflicts at every stage. Where composed arrangement is not offered, the service the Act offers is for both celebrations to select an ‘concurred surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a surveyor who in turn designate a third property surveyor. The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work may continue. The surveyor( s) will review the plans, notices and structural information of the works and, after considering the impact of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjoining property before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered excellent practice and is properly offered by the majority of excellent property surveyors). The award may likewise approve access to both homes so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect work in development.

Generally, the building owner who started the work spends for all expenses of work and the reasonable costs sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the property surveyors charges for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that many individuals wishing to carry out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “newbies guide” which intends to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to bring out certain particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. Written notice needs to be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web