Faulkners Surveyors is an independent firm of structure property surveyors that specialise in the

Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 acting for Building Owners, Adjoining Owners and as the Agreed Surveyor throughout London and the House Counties.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wanting to perform deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise understand it can be a daunting procedure for those that have actually not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to perform certain particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or minimise conflicts by ensuring property owners notify their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for resolving conflicts and allowing works to continue. It likewise requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls normally different buildings coming from various owners but might include garden walls built astride a limit– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size structures frequently just the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of because the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they also include party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not being part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, however does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and also a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached solely by separate entryways or different staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can just be done after informing the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not restricted to):.

Notifications are likewise needed if it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall property surveyor will normally be able to confirm which work is notifiable and recommendations the notification period and kind of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain specific kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a method of objecting to or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is normally concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notification.


The functions of the Act are constantly instigated by the of issuing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of legitimate notifications, no further action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification should be served on adjoining owners at least two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners need to be served a notification and there are likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent residential or commercial property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjoining home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will likewise need a notification to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notifications must include the following details as a minimum:.

It is vital to consist of the appropriate information on a notification as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notifications.

On invoice of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a considered dispute is stated to have actually taken place and the person carrying out the work needs to appoint a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply composed consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no dispute to fix and no more requirement for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work profits as detailed within no damage and the notification is triggered, then no further involvement is essential.

Handling Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might continue. The property surveyor( s) will examine the strategies, notices and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjoining property prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act however is thought about excellent practice and is properly provided by a lot of good property surveyors). The award might likewise give access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can examine operate in progress.

Usually, the structure owner who began the work pays for all expenses of work and the sensible expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that many individuals wanting to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to carry out particular particular works, including work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time protecting the interests of anybody else who may be impacted by that work. Written notification needs to be served on adjoining owners at least two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web