We are completely qualified professional Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Arrange of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us completely put to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Building Owner preparing a new job or a neighbour who has actually been served a Party Wall Notice our understanding and experience ensures we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and talk to an Expert Surveyor for friendly expert recommendations.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a making it possible for Act, insofar as it approves the owner of a home the legal right to undertake particular works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.

It likewise seeks to secure the interests of adjacent owners from any potentially adverse impacts that such works might have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be offered prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act provides for a compulsory dispute resolution treatment moderated by a statutorily selected surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the execution of any proposition so notified.

Particularly, such notice should be served where the owner of a property (referred to as ‘the building owner’) plans to undertake any construction work described in Areas 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Note that it is only those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is restricted to the following:

The details that Discovers must supply in respect of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those areas but the requirements of a Notification relating to Section 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. It is necessary to note that the credibility of any notice not offering all the relevant details or served in the incorrect manner, could be open up to challenge in Court.

There is no standard kind of Notification although many individuals use those released by the RICS or versions appended to the explanatory booklet provided by the Department for Communities and Local Government. Supplied all the info needed by the appropriate section of the Act is present, a simple letter would be equally valid.

Depending upon the situations of any offered task there might be more than one adjacent owner on whom notice requirements to be served in respect of the exact same work and, in the case of deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner might be besides an instant neighbour. It is constantly more effective to go over the intended deal with adjacent owners prior to serving them with formal composed notice – a proposal well described might minimize issues enough to prevent a disagreement emerging and avoid the need to select surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the requirement to serve notice may be prevented:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory pamphlet says that some deal with a party wall may be so minor that service of notice under the Act would be generally regarded as not necessary and give as examples works unlikely to impact the structural strength or assistance functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical circuitry or placing power sockets, and screws to support racks, kitchen area cabinets, and so forth.
  2. Works under Section 2 of the Act offered that written authorization is acquired from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The three kinds of Notice are known, respectively as:

A party structure notice must be served a minimum of 2 months before the date on which it is proposed to begin that work. The other two notices must be served a minimum of one month prior to work beginning.

The mandatory details which Discovers must consist of are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notifications in use consist of the following info as a matter of course regardless of the kind of notification:

Area 10 of the Act states that where an adjoining owner does not permission in writing to works informed by the structure owner under Sections 3 and 6, both celebrations should either settle on the visit of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each appoint their own property surveyor, to figure out by award matters in dispute between the celebrations.

Where a project is straightforward, this might only include consideration of the time and manner in which those works are to be carried out. In more complex schemes, believed will have to be provided to a commensurately greater number of elements and undoubtedly selected property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in respect of any matter connected with any work to which the act relates.

The exact same treatment is used to fix any subsequent disagreements in between neighbouring owners that may develop in relation to the alerted works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjoining owner as a result of their execution.

Inaction on the part of the adjacent owner does not stop the statutory procedure. A dispute can emerge by an adjacent owner actively dissenting, that is, communicating to the building owner an objection in respect of some matter arising out of or incidental to the works – the methods of making that objection are not important, but if he remains silent, neither consenting nor dissenting for a period of 14 days after having been served with a Notification under either Section 3 or Area 6, the Act considers a dissent to have arisen in any event.

There is no considered dissent provision in Area 1 of the Act. A legitimate dispute can still develop, and property surveyors be appointed in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works notified under that area however just as regards actual dissent on specific premises. An adjacent owner’s factors for contesting Section 2 and Area 6 works are hardly ever defined prior to the visit of property surveyors and in many cases not even then.

Where dissent has emerged, whether actual or deemed, both owners are lawfully obliged to select an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a single person, a property surveyor each and if requested to make such a consultation by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the demand being served. Failure to comply, instantly offers the owner making the request the statutory authority to select a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This treatment is set out in section 10( 4) of the Act.

Where two surveyors are appointed, they are obliged to agree upon the selection, in writing, of a 3rd property surveyor who may be called upon by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to identify the challenged matters and make the necessary award. The third surveyor is never ever selected by anyone however the Act gives the individual so selected the same statutory powers as the two property surveyors.

Third property surveyors are most frequently called upon where the two surveyors have reached a deadlock in their considerations over some specific point and often this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the charges of the property surveyor designated by the adjoining owner. Hardly ever will a 3rd surveyor be asked to draw up an award in respect of the entire works but might join with one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the need develops.

There is no meaning of who can be a surveyor, however it needs to not be the same individual that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and examination of the works to ensure that they abide by the works, and who will spend for the works. They will typically be needed to pay the costs and the expense of the works if the work is solely for the benefit of the building owner.

If they disagree with the award, parties have 14 days to appeal to the county court.

The Act enables access to the adjoining residential or commercial property for the functions of performing the works whether the adjoining owner gives permission or not, nevertheless they need to be provided 2 week notification.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 indicates that from 6 April 2016, notifications and other documents can be served by electronic communications.

The information that Notices must supply in regard of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notification relating to Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. A legitimate conflict can still emerge, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Section 10, in regard of works alerted under that area however just as regards actual dissent on specific grounds. An adjoining owner’s factors for contesting Section 2 and Section 6 works are rarely defined prior to the consultation of property surveyors and in lots of cases not even then.

Where dissent has developed, whether actual or considered, both owners are legally obliged to appoint a concurred surveyor or, if they can not collectively concur on a single individual, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such a consultation by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the demand being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web