We are completely qualified professional Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Schedule of Condition reports and lawfully serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us completely positioned to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner planning a brand-new job or a neighbour who has actually been served a Party Wall Notification our knowledge and experience guarantees we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and speak to a Specialist Surveyor for friendly expert guidance.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a making it possible for Act, insofar as it grants the owner of a home the legal right to undertake specific works that may otherwise make up trespass or nuisance.

It also looks for to protect the interests of adjoining owners from any potentially adverse results that such works may have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be given prior notice of them.

In addition, the Act offers an obligatory dispute resolution procedure moderated by a statutorily designated property surveyor or surveyors if neighbouring owners have concerns about the application of any proposition so informed.

Specifically, such notification needs to be served where the owner of a residential or commercial property (referred to as ‘the structure owner’) means to carry out any construction work described in Sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Keep in mind that it is only those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is limited to the following:

The info that Observes need to offer in respect of works covered the above sections is various in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those areas but the requirements of a Notice connecting to Section 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. It is essential to note that the validity of any notice not offering all the appropriate info or served in the inaccurate way, could be available to challenge in Court.

There is no standard form of Notification although many individuals use those released by the RICS or versions added to the explanatory brochure issued by the Department for Communities and City Government. Supplied all the information needed by the appropriate area of the Act is present, a simple letter would be equally valid.

Depending upon the scenarios of any provided job there may be more than one adjacent owner on whom see requirements to be served in respect of the exact same work and, when it comes to deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner might be aside from an immediate neighbour. It is always more suitable to talk about the designated works with adjacent owners before serving them with formal composed notification – a proposal well discussed may reduce concerns adequate to prevent a dispute occurring and prevent the requirement to appoint surveyors.

There are two exceptions where the requirement to serve notice may be prevented:

  1. De minimis works: The federal government’s explanatory brochure says that some deal with a party wall may be so small that service of notice under the Act would be generally considered not needed and give as examples works unlikely to affect the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical circuitry or inserting power sockets, and screws to support racks, cooking area cupboards, and the like.
  2. Works under Section 2 of the Act provided that composed consent is obtained from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The three kinds of Notice are understood, respectively as:

A party structure notice must be served a minimum of two months before the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other two notices must be served a minimum of one month prior to work beginning.

The mandatory details which Discovers need to include are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notices in use include the following information as a matter of course despite the type of notice:

Section 10 of the Act specifies that where an adjoining owner does not approval in writing to works notified by the building owner under Sections 3 and 6, both parties should either settle on the appointment of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (called the Agreed Surveyor), or each designate their own surveyor, to identify by award matters in dispute between the parties.

Where a job is straightforward, this might just involve factor to consider of the time and manner in which those works are to be performed. In more complex schemes, believed will have to be provided to a commensurately greater number of elements and indeed selected surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter gotten in touch with any work to which the act relates.

The very same procedure is used to deal with any subsequent disagreements in between neighbouring owners that might occur in relation to the informed works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjoining owner as a result of their execution.

Inaction on the part of the adjacent owner does not halt the statutory process. A dispute can develop by an adjacent owner actively dissenting, that is, communicating to the building owner an objection in respect of some matter emerging out of or incidental to the works – the methods of making that objection are trivial, however if he stays quiet, neither consenting nor dissenting for a duration of 14 days after having been served with a Notice under either Area 3 or Section 6, the Act considers a dissent to have actually arisen in any event.

There is no considered dissent provision in Area 1 of the Act. A valid dispute can still occur, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Area 10, in respect of works informed under that area but only as concerns actual dissent on specific grounds. An adjoining owner’s factors for contesting Area 2 and Section 6 works are rarely specified prior to the consultation of surveyors and in most cases not even then.

Where dissent has developed, whether actual or considered, both owners are legally obliged to designate a concurred surveyor or, if they can not jointly settle on a bachelor, a property surveyor each and if requested to make such a visit by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the demand being served. Failure to comply, instantly provides the owner making the demand the statutory authority to designate a surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This treatment is set out in section 10( 4) of the Act.

Where two property surveyors are appointed, they are required to agree upon the selection, in composing, of a 3rd surveyor who might be called upon by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to figure out the contested matters and make the necessary award. The third property surveyor is never ever appointed by anyone but the Act gives the individual so picked the same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

3rd property surveyors are most typically called upon where the two property surveyors have actually reached a deadlock in their considerations over some specific point and often this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the costs of the surveyor selected by the adjacent owner. Hardly ever will a 3rd property surveyor be asked to draw up an award in respect of the whole works but might accompany one or other of the two surveyors to do so if the need develops.

There is no definition of who can be a surveyor, but it needs to not be the same individual that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and examination of the works to make sure that they adhere to the works, and who will spend for the works. They will typically be required to pay the fees and the cost of the works if the work is solely for the advantage of the building owner.

If they disagree with the award, celebrations have 14 days to appeal to the county court.

The Act enables access to the adjoining property for the functions of carrying out the works whether the adjacent owner gives permission or not, nevertheless they must be given 14 days notification.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 means that from 6 April 2016, notifications and other documents can be served by electronic interactions.

The details that Sees must offer in regard of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notice relating to Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. A valid conflict can still occur, and surveyors be appointed in accordance with Section 10, in respect of works informed under that area but just as relates to real dissent on particular grounds. An adjoining owner’s reasons for contesting Section 2 and Area 6 works are hardly ever specified prior to the consultation of surveyors and in lots of cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually occurred, whether real or deemed, both owners are lawfully required to designate an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a single individual, a surveyor each and if asked for to make such a visit by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the request being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web