We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have over twenty five years experience of operating in UK, acting for professionals, services, along with for people.

Each short is special, and our dedicated group of party wall property surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of problems relating to party walls. We are proud to offer a bespoke service to match the differing requirements of our customers.

This site is created to provide basic details along with offering you the opportunity to contact us straight with your problems and requirements, therefore allowing our expert Party Wall Surveyors to advise you accordingly.

The current legislation dealing with party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall and so on. Act 1996, which governs the rights and commitments of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, surrounding excavations and/or foundations (consisting of stacked foundations).

Our group of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors offers a special specific niche service, which enables you to have the best quality service at competitively priced fees.

For additional information contact among our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wishing to perform deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise comprehend it can be a difficult procedure for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which aims to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring buildings, and new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to perform particular particular works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to avoid or minimise disagreements by ensuring property owners notify their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act provides a system for solving conflicts and allowing works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will identify the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually separate structures coming from various owners but could consist of garden walls constructed astride a border– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size structures frequently only the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of due to the fact that the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not belonging to a building) which stands on lands of various owners and is utilized or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjoining lands, however does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” indicates a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached solely by different staircases or separate entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can just be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either getting written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not limited to):.

Notices are also needed if it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (boundary line). A party wall surveyor will usually have the ability to validate which work is notifiable and guidance the notice period and kind of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain specific types of work and is liberal in nature. It ought to not be viewed as a method of challenging or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is typically concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notice.


The workings of the Act are constantly initiated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the concern of legitimate notices, no further action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice needs to be served on adjacent owners at least two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining home and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjoining home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will also need a notification to adjoining owners living above or below.

Legitimate notifications must include the following info as a minimum:.

It is essential to consist of the right information on a notice as, if they are considered void, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Responses To Notices.

On invoice of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjoining does not respond within 14 days then a deemed conflict is said to have actually happened and the person carrying out the work should designate a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to resolve and no further need for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work profits as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no further participation is essential.

Handling Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is gotten and a considered dissent has occurred) then a disagreement has actually happened which need to be dealt with under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves restating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it offers a path to end conflicts at every phase. Where written contract is not provided, the service the Act offers is for both parties to appoint an ‘concurred property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a surveyor who in turn select a third property surveyor. The surveyors then interact to concur the terms under which work may continue. The property surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notices and structural details of the works and, after considering the impact of the works, will prepare a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will usually tape-record the condition of the appropriate part of adjoining home before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered good practice and is appropriately provided by the majority of good surveyors). The award may likewise grant access to both homes so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in development.

Typically, the structure owner who began the work pays for all costs of work and the sensible costs incurred by all parties as a result, this will consist of the surveyors fees for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of individuals wishing to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “novices guide” which intends to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to bring out particular specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time protecting the interests of anybody else who may be affected by that work. Composed notification should be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web