We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have more than twenty 5 years experience of operating in UK, acting for experts, companies, as well as for individuals.

Each quick is unique, and our dedicated team of party wall surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of problems relating to party walls. We are proud to provide a bespoke service to match the differing needs of our customers.

This site is created to provide fundamental information as well as offering you the opportunity to call us directly with your issues and requirements, therefore enabling our expert Party Wall Surveyors to advise you accordingly.

The current legislation dealing with party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall and so on. Act 1996, which governs the rights and responsibilities of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, surrounding excavations and/or structures (consisting of piled structures).

Our group of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors provides an unique niche service, which enables you to have the very best quality service at competitively priced costs.

For additional information contact one of our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall property surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that lots of people wishing to carry out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also understand it can be a daunting process for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to carry out certain particular works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who might be affected by that work. The Act is designed to avoid or minimise disputes by ensuring property owners alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes and allowing works to continue. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally different structures belonging to various owners however could consist of garden walls developed astride a boundary– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size structures typically only the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the arrangements of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not being part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, however does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached exclusively by separate entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can only be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either getting written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not restricted to):.

Notices are also needed if it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall surveyor will normally be able to verify which work is notifiable and suggestions the notification duration and type of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular particular kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a technique of objecting to or preventing works and it is not planned to be applied to minor tasks that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notification.


The functions of the Act are constantly prompted by the of issuing notifications. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the issue of legitimate notices, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification must be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notification and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will also require a notification to adjoining owners living above or below.

Valid notifications should include the following details as a minimum:.

It is vital to consist of the appropriate details on a notice as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Responses To Notifications.

On invoice of a notice, an adjacent owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a deemed dispute is said to have taken place and the person carrying out the work must select a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply written consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no disagreement to deal with and no additional requirement for party wall property surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notification is caused, then no more involvement is needed.

Solving Disputes.

The surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work may proceed. The property surveyor( s) will review the plans, notifications and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be brought out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will usually record the condition of the relevant part of adjoining property before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered great practice and is properly offered by most excellent surveyors). The award may also give access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be safely carried out and the surveyor/s can examine operate in progress.

Generally, the structure owner who began the work pays for all costs of work and the sensible expenses incurred by all parties as a result, this will include the property surveyors costs for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous people wishing to bring out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to bring out certain particular works, including work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time protecting the interests of anybody else who may be affected by that work. Written notice should be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web