Faulkners Surveyors use a range of building surveying services specialising in Party Wall Services.

We pride ourselves on our flexibility and personal participation towards our customers requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening group of property surveyors with a wealth of skill, experience and proficiency. Then call Faulkners Surveyors for an informative chat, if you are looking for an expert yet versatile method to all your home matters.

Our property surveyors are managed by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and bring expert indemnity insurance to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that lots of people wanting to carry out deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction process. We likewise comprehend it can be a challenging procedure for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which intends to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to carry out certain specific works, consisting of work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to avoid or reduce conflicts by ensuring homeowner inform their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act offers a mechanism for dealing with disputes and allowing works to proceed. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will identify the time and way in which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically separate structures belonging to different owners but could include garden walls developed astride a border– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size buildings often only the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included due to the fact that the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not belonging to a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or constructed to be used for separating such adjacent lands, but does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached exclusively by separate staircases or different entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are particular items of work that you can just be done after informing the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not restricted to):.

Notifications are also required if it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall surveyor will usually have the ability to validate which work is notifiable and suggestions the notification period and type of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain specific types of work and is liberal in nature. It needs to not be seen as a technique of challenging or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is generally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The functions of the Act are always initiated by the of providing notifications. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of valid notifications, no more action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice must be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners need to be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise require a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notifications should contain the following information as a minimum:.

It is essential to consist of the appropriate details on a notification as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Reactions To Notices.

On receipt of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

In many cases, if the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a considered dispute is stated to have actually happened and the individual carrying out the work should select a property surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjacent owners offer composed consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no conflict to resolve and no additional need for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notification is caused, then no more participation is needed.

Resolving Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is received and a deemed dissent has actually emerged) then a disagreement has happened which must be dealt with under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth repeating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from taking place and it offers a path to end disagreements at every stage. Where composed contract is not given, the service the Act supplies is for both celebrations to select an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a surveyor who in turn designate a third property surveyor. The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the plans, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will prepare an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically record the condition of the pertinent part of adjoining home before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered great practice and is appropriately provided by a lot of good property surveyors). The award might also give access to both homes so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect work in progress.

Generally, the structure owner who began the work pays for all expenditures of work and the affordable expenses incurred by all parties as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous people wishing to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “newbies guide” which intends to provide an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to bring out particular particular works, consisting of work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anybody else who may be affected by that work. Written notification needs to be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web