The Faulkners Surveyors is an expert Chartered Building Surveying Practice that operates throughout UK. The Faulkners Surveyors undertakes all aspects of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 and supplies the following services:

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that lots of people wanting to carry out deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be an overwhelming process for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to provide a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to prevent or reduce conflicts by making sure homeowner alert their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for resolving disagreements and making it possible for works to proceed. It likewise requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally different structures belonging to different owners however might consist of garden walls developed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size buildings frequently only the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included since the arrangements of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not being part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjoining lands, but does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached exclusively by different entrances or different staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can only be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not limited to):.

Notifications are also required if it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (limit line). A party wall property surveyor will generally have the ability to confirm which work is notifiable and recommendations the notification duration and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to particular specific types of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a method of objecting to or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to minor tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is typically agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notification.


The workings of the Act are always instigated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of legitimate notifications, no additional action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Composed notification should be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjacent property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will also require a notice to adjoining owners living above or below.

Legitimate notices must include the following details as a minimum:.

It is important to consist of the appropriate details on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Responses To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjoining owner has three possible courses of action:.

For the most part, if the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a considered conflict is said to have actually taken place and the person carrying out the work should designate a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners offer written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to resolve and no further need for party wall property surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within no damage and the notification is caused, then no further participation is required.

Resolving Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The surveyor( s) will examine the strategies, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the relevant part of adjacent residential or commercial property prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act however is thought about great practice and is appropriately provided by many excellent surveyors). The award may likewise grant access to both properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in progress.

Typically, the structure owner who began the work pays for all expenses of work and the sensible expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the property surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of individuals wanting to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “novices guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to bring out particular particular works, consisting of work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. Written notice needs to be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web