Faulkners Surveyors As certified and experienced Party Wall Surveyors we specialise in all Party Wall matters.
We cover every aspect necessary to encourage upon and deal with Party Wall issues, such as:

  • Preparing and serving legitimate Party Wall Notices
  • Acting as the Building Owners Party Wall Surveyor
  • Acting as the Adjoining Owners Party Wall Surveyor
  • Acting as the Agreed Party Wall Surveyor
  • Carrying out and preparing Schedules of Condition
  • Preparation and settlement of Party Wall Awards

All our Party Wall Surveyors are specialists and work in accordance with the regulations set down by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors.

The Party Wall Act and so on 1996 is law, failure to comply with this legislation may result in works being unlawful.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 is an enabling Act, insofar as it grants the owner of a property the legal right to carry out specific works that may otherwise make up trespass or nuisance.

It likewise seeks to secure the interests of adjacent owners from any potentially negative effects that such works might have by enforcing a requirement that all adjoining owners be offered prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act provides for an obligatory conflict resolution treatment moderated by a statutorily selected property surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have concerns about the application of any proposition so informed.

Particularly, such notification needs to be served where the owner of a residential or commercial property (known as ‘the building owner’) means to undertake any building and construction work described in Areas 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Keep in mind that it is just those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is limited to the following:

The information that Observes should provide in regard of works covered the above sections is different in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those areas however the requirements of a Notice relating to Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. It is essential to note that the credibility of any notification not offering all the pertinent details or served in the incorrect manner, could be open up to challenge in Court.

There is no standard form of Notification although many individuals utilize those released by the RICS or versions added to the explanatory booklet provided by the Department for Communities and City Government. Nevertheless, offered all the information required by the appropriate section of the Act is present, a simple letter would be similarly legitimate.

Depending on the scenarios of any provided project there may be more than one adjoining owner on whom see requirements to be served in respect of the exact same work and, in the case of deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner might be besides an instant neighbour. It is constantly preferable to discuss the designated deal with adjoining owners before serving them with formal written notice – a proposal well discussed might reduce concerns adequate to prevent a dispute developing and avoid the necessity to appoint surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the need to serve notice may be prevented:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory pamphlet says that some works on a party wall may be so minor that service of notice under the Act would be typically considered as not necessary and give as examples works not likely to impact the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical circuitry or inserting power sockets, and screws to support shelves, cooking area cabinets, and the like.
  2. Works under Section 2 of the Act offered that composed consent is acquired from all Adjacent Owners and Occupiers before work commences.

The 3 kinds of Notice are known, respectively as:

A party structure notice must be served a minimum of 2 months before the date on which it is proposed to begin that work. The other 2 notifications must be served a minimum of one month prior to work commencing.

The necessary information which Sees should consist of are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notices in use include the following info as a matter of course regardless of the type of notification:

Area 10 of the Act states that where an adjoining owner does not permission in writing to works alerted by the structure owner under Sections 3 and 6, both celebrations should either agree on the visit of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each appoint their own surveyor, to figure out by award matters in dispute in between the celebrations.

Where a project is straightforward, this may only involve consideration of the time and way in which those works are to be performed. In more complex schemes, believed will need to be offered to a commensurately greater number of elements and undoubtedly selected property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter gotten in touch with any work to which the act relates.

The same treatment is used to deal with any subsequent disagreements between neighbouring owners that may emerge in relation to the alerted works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjacent owner as a result of their execution.

Inactiveness on the part of the adjacent owner does not stop the statutory procedure. A disagreement can develop by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, interacting to the building owner an objection in respect of some matter occurring out of or incidental to the works – the means of making that objection are trivial, however if he stays quiet, neither consenting nor dissenting for a period of 2 week after having actually been served with a Notice under either Area 3 or Area 6, the Act considers a dissent to have occurred in any event.

There is no considered dissent provision in Section 1 of the Act. A legitimate disagreement can still occur, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works informed under that area but only as concerns real dissent on specific premises. An adjoining owner’s factors for disputing Section 2 and Section 6 works are seldom defined prior to the visit of surveyors and in many cases not even then.

Where dissent has emerged, whether actual or deemed, both owners are legally obliged to select a concurred surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a single person, a property surveyor each and if requested to make such an appointment by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the request being served. Failure to comply, instantly gives the owner making the demand the statutory authority to select a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This procedure is set out in section 10( 4) of the Act.

Where 2 surveyors are selected, they are obliged to agree upon the choice, in composing, of a third surveyor who may be called upon by either of the surveyors or either of the parties to figure out the disputed matters and make the needed award. The 3rd surveyor is never ever selected by anybody but the Act gives the person so selected the exact same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

Third property surveyors are most typically hired where the two surveyors have reached an impasse in their deliberations over some particular point and frequently this can be in regard on the reasonableness of the costs of the property surveyor selected by the adjacent owner. Rarely will a third surveyor be asked to draw up an award in respect of the whole works however may join with one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the requirement occurs.

There is no meaning of who can be a property surveyor, however it must not be the same individual that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the charges for the preparation of the award and evaluation of the works to guarantee that they comply with the works, and who will pay for the works. If the work is entirely for the benefit of the structure owner, then they will generally be required to pay the fees and the expense of the works.

Parties have 14 days to interest the county court if they disagree with the award.

The Act permits access to the adjacent residential or commercial property for the functions of carrying out the works whether the adjoining owner allows or not, however they must be given 2 week notification.

NB: The intro of The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 implies that from 6 April 2016, notices and other documents can be served by electronic communications.

The details that Observes need to provide in respect of works covered the above areas is various in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those sections but the requirements of a Notification relating to Section 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. A legitimate conflict can still emerge, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Area 10, in respect of works informed under that area however only as regards real dissent on particular premises. An adjacent owner’s reasons for challenging Section 2 and Section 6 works are seldom specified prior to the appointment of surveyors and in many cases not even then.

Where dissent has occurred, whether real or deemed, both owners are lawfully required to select an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a single person, a surveyor each and if asked for to make such an appointment by the other party, should do so within 10 days of the request being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web