Faulkners Surveyors As certified and experienced Party Wall Surveyors we specialise in all Party Wall matters.
We cover every element required to advise upon and deal with Party Wall problems, such as:

  • Preparing and serving legitimate Party Wall Notices
  • Acting as the Structure Owners Party Wall Property Surveyor
  • Acting as the Adjoining Owners Party Wall Surveyor
  • Acting as the Agreed Party Wall Surveyor
  • Undertaking and preparing Schedules of Condition
  • Preparation and negotiation of Party Wall Awards

All our Party Wall Surveyors are experts and work in accordance with the regulations set down by the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors.

The Party Wall Act etc. 1996 is law, failure to adhere to this legislation may lead to works being unlawful.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a making it possible for Act, insofar as it approves the owner of a property the legal right to carry out specific works that might otherwise make up trespass or problem.

It also looks for to safeguard the interests of adjoining owners from any potentially adverse results that such works might have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be given prior notice of them.

In addition, the Act provides for an obligatory dispute resolution procedure mediated by a statutorily appointed surveyor or surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the execution of any proposal so alerted.

Specifically, such notice must be served where the owner of a property (referred to as ‘the building owner’) plans to carry out any building work explained in Areas 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Note that it is just those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is restricted to the following:

The details that Sees must offer in regard of works covered the above sections is various in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those areas but the requirements of a Notification connecting to Area 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. It is necessary to note that the credibility of any notification not providing all the pertinent info or served in the inaccurate manner, could be available to challenge in Court.

There is no standard form of Notification although many individuals utilize those published by the RICS or versions appended to the explanatory booklet issued by the Department for Communities and Local Government. Nevertheless, provided all the info needed by the relevant area of the Act is present, a basic letter would be equally legitimate.

Depending on the scenarios of any given project there may be more than one adjacent owner on whom discover requirements to be served in regard of the exact same work and, when it comes to deep excavations, an Adjacent Owner might be aside from an immediate neighbour. It is constantly preferable to discuss the designated works with adjacent owners prior to serving them with official written notification – a proposal well explained may reduce concerns enough to prevent a conflict emerging and prevent the requirement to designate surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the need to serve notice might be avoided:

  1. De minimis works: The federal government’s explanatory brochure states that some deal with a party wall may be so minor that service of notice under the Act would be generally regarded as not needed and give as examples works not likely to impact the structural strength or assistance functions of a party structure or cause damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical wiring or placing power sockets, and screws to support shelves, kitchen cabinets, and so on.
  2. Works under Section 2 of the Act supplied that composed authorization is gotten from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers before work commences.

The three kinds of Notice are understood, respectively as:

A party structure notification must be served a minimum of 2 months prior to the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other two notices must be served at least one month prior to work beginning.

The necessary information which Observes must consist of are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notifications in use consist of the following information as a matter of course no matter the kind of notification:

Section 10 of the Act states that where an adjoining owner does not approval in writing to works notified by the building owner under Areas 3 and 6, both celebrations should either settle on the appointment of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (called the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each appoint their own surveyor, to determine by award matters in dispute in between the celebrations.

Where a project is straightforward, this might just involve factor to consider of the time and way in which those works are to be carried out. In more complex plans, thought will need to be given to a commensurately greater number of aspects and indeed designated property surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in respect of any matter connected with any work to which the act relates.

The same procedure is used to fix any subsequent conflicts in between neighbouring owners that may occur in relation to the informed works, including any loss or damage suffered by an adjacent owner as a result of their execution.

Inactiveness on the part of the adjoining owner does not halt the statutory process. A dispute can occur by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, interacting to the structure owner an objection in respect of some matter occurring out of or incidental to the works – the methods of making that objection are not important, however if he remains silent, neither consenting nor dissenting for a duration of 14 days after having been served with a Notice under either Section 3 or Section 6, the Act deems a dissent to have actually arisen in any event.

There is no considered dissent arrangement in Section 1 of the Act. A legitimate conflict can still arise, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Section 10, in regard of works notified under that section however only as regards real dissent on particular premises. An adjacent owner’s reasons for contesting Area 2 and Section 6 works are hardly ever defined prior to the consultation of property surveyors and in a lot of cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually developed, whether actual or considered, both owners are lawfully required to designate a concurred surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a bachelor, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such a consultation by the other party, should do so within 10 days of the request being served. Failure to comply, automatically provides the owner making the demand the statutory authority to appoint a surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This treatment is set out in area 10( 4) of the Act.

Where 2 surveyors are appointed, they are obliged to agree upon the selection, in composing, of a third surveyor who might be called upon by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to determine the disputed matters and make the needed award. The third surveyor is never ever designated by anyone but the Act offers the person so picked the exact same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

Third surveyors are most typically called upon where the two property surveyors have reached an impasse in their considerations over some specific point and typically this can be in regard on the reasonableness of the charges of the property surveyor selected by the adjoining owner. Rarely will a third surveyor be asked to draw up an award in regard of the whole works but may join with one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the requirement arises.

There is no meaning of who can be a surveyor, however it must not be the same person that will supervise the works.

The award will set out the works that can be performed, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and evaluation of the works to ensure that they comply with the works, and who will pay for the works. They will typically be needed to pay the costs and the expense of the works if the work is exclusively for the advantage of the structure owner.

Celebrations have 2 week to attract the county court if they disagree with the award.

The Act enables access to the adjacent home for the purposes of performing the works whether the adjoining owner allows or not, nevertheless they need to be given 2 week notification.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 indicates that from 6 April 2016, notices and other files can be served by electronic communications.

The information that Observes should supply in respect of works covered the above sections is various in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notice relating to Area 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. A legitimate dispute can still emerge, and property surveyors be selected in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works notified under that area but just as regards actual dissent on particular grounds. An adjacent owner’s factors for contesting Area 2 and Section 6 works are seldom defined prior to the visit of surveyors and in lots of cases not even then.

Where dissent has arisen, whether real or considered, both owners are legally required to designate a concurred surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a single individual, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such a consultation by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the request being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web