Faulkners Surveyors As qualified and experienced Party Wall Surveyors we specialise in all Party Wall matters.
We cover every aspect essential to recommend upon and deal with Party Wall concerns, such as:

  • Preparing and serving legitimate Party Wall Notices
  • Acting as the Building Owners Party Wall Surveyor
  • Acting as the Adjoining Owners Party Wall Surveyor
  • Acting as the Agreed Party Wall Property Surveyor
  • Undertaking and preparing Schedules of Condition
  • Preparation and negotiation of Party Wall Awards

All our Party Wall Surveyors are professionals and work in accordance with the regulations set down by the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors.

The Party Wall Act etc. 1996 is law, failure to adhere to this legislation might lead to works being unlawful.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wanting to carry out deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise comprehend it can be a difficult procedure for those that have actually not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to supply an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to perform particular particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who might be affected by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or minimise conflicts by making sure homeowner alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act offers a system for solving conflicts and making it possible for works to continue. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually different buildings coming from different owners however might consist of garden walls constructed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size structures typically just the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they likewise consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not belonging to a structure) which stands on lands of different owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjacent lands, however does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” indicates a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached exclusively by different staircases or different entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not limited to):.

Notifications are likewise needed if it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (boundary line). A party wall property surveyor will typically be able to verify which work is notifiable and recommendations the notification duration and kind of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to particular specific kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a method of objecting to or avoiding works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is generally concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notice.


The operations of the Act are always prompted by the of providing notifications. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of legitimate notifications, no further action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice should be served on adjacent owners a minimum of 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notice and there are most likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjoining property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will also require a notice to adjoining owners living above or below.

Valid notices need to include the following information as a minimum:.

It is important to consist of the appropriate details on a notice as, if they are considered void, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notifications.

On receipt of a notice, an adjacent owner has three possible courses of action:.

If the adjoining does not respond within 14 days then a deemed conflict is said to have actually happened and the person bring out the work should select a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners offer written grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to deal with and no more need for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work proceeds as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no additional involvement is needed.

Solving Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no response is gotten and a deemed dissent has actually developed) then a dispute has happened which should be dealt with under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves repeating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it uses a route to end disputes at every stage. Where written arrangement is not provided, the solution the Act offers is for both celebrations to select an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a surveyor who in turn select a third surveyor. The surveyors then collaborate to concur the terms under which work may continue. The property surveyor( s) will evaluate the plans, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically tape-record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent residential or commercial property prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered good practice and is properly offered by many great surveyors). The award might also approve access to both properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can examine operate in progress.

Normally, the structure owner who started the work spends for all expenditures of work and the sensible expenses incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of people wanting to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which intends to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out certain specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time securing the interests of anybody else who may be impacted by that work. Written notification must be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web