We are totally certified professional Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Arrange of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us completely placed to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner planning a new project or a neighbour who has actually been served a Party Wall Notice our knowledge and experience guarantees we are constantly best prepared to help with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and consult with a Specialist Surveyor for friendly expert advice.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is an enabling Act, insofar as it approves the owner of a home the legal right to carry out certain works that might otherwise constitute trespass or nuisance.

Nevertheless, it also seeks to protect the interests of adjoining owners from any potentially adverse impacts that such works may have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be provided prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act provides for a mandatory dispute resolution treatment mediated by a statutorily appointed property surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have issues about the execution of any proposition so alerted.

Particularly, such notice needs to be served where the owner of a home (known as ‘the structure owner’) intends to undertake any building work described in Areas 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Keep in mind that it is just those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is limited to the following:

The details that Sees must supply in regard of works covered the above sections is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Section 6 Notifications are set out in those sections however the requirements of a Notice connecting to Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. It is essential to note that the credibility of any notification not providing all the relevant information or served in the inaccurate manner, could be open up to challenge in Court.

There is no standard type of Notice although many individuals use those published by the RICS or variations added to the explanatory brochure released by the Department for Communities and City Government. However, supplied all the information required by the appropriate area of the Act exists, a basic letter would be equally valid.

Depending upon the scenarios of any offered project there might be more than one adjoining owner on whom discover needs to be served in respect of the exact same work and, in the case of deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner may be other than an instant neighbour. It is always more effective to talk about the designated deal with adjacent owners before serving them with formal composed notice – a proposal well described might alleviate issues enough to prevent a conflict arising and prevent the need to designate property surveyors.

There are two exceptions where the need to serve notice might be prevented:

  1. De minimis works: The federal government’s explanatory pamphlet states that some works on a party wall might be so small that service of notification under the Act would be usually considered not necessary and give as examples works not likely to impact the structural strength or assistance functions of a party structure or cause damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical circuitry or placing power sockets, and screws to support racks, kitchen cabinets, and the like.
  2. Works under Section 2 of the Act provided that written authorization is acquired from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers before work commences.

The three kinds of Notice are understood, respectively as:

A party structure notification must be served a minimum of two months before the date on which it is proposed to begin that work. The other 2 notices need to be served a minimum of one month prior to work beginning.

The obligatory info which Discovers should include are as follows:

Most of the pro-forma notices in use consist of the following information as a matter of course no matter the type of notice:

Section 10 of the Act stipulates that where an adjacent owner does not authorization in writing to works notified by the structure owner under Areas 3 and 6, both celebrations should either agree on the visit of a single surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Surveyor), or each select their own surveyor, to identify by award matters in dispute in between the celebrations.

Where a task is straightforward, this might just involve consideration of the time and manner in which those works are to be performed. In more complex schemes, believed will have to be given to a commensurately greater number of factors and undoubtedly designated surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter gotten in touch with any work to which the act relates.

The very same procedure is used to deal with any subsequent conflicts between neighbouring owners that may occur in relation to the informed works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjacent owner as a result of their execution.

Inaction on the part of the adjoining owner does not stop the statutory procedure. A disagreement can emerge by an adjacent owner actively dissenting, that is, communicating to the structure owner an objection in regard of some matter developing out of or incidental to the works – the means of making that objection are not important, however if he remains quiet, neither dissenting nor consenting for a duration of 14 days after having actually been served with a Notification under either Area 3 or Area 6, the Act considers a dissent to have occurred in any event.

There is no deemed dissent provision in Section 1 of the Act. A legitimate conflict can still emerge, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Area 10, in respect of works informed under that area but just as regards actual dissent on specific premises. An adjoining owner’s reasons for contesting Area 2 and Section 6 works are seldom defined prior to the consultation of property surveyors and in most cases not even then.

Where dissent has emerged, whether actual or deemed, both owners are legally required to designate an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a bachelor, a surveyor each and if asked for to make such an appointment by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the request being served. Failure to comply, automatically provides the owner making the demand the statutory authority to select a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This procedure is set out in area 10( 4) of the Act.

Where 2 property surveyors are selected, they are required to agree upon the selection, in composing, of a 3rd surveyor who may be hired by either of the surveyors or either of the celebrations to figure out the challenged matters and make the needed award. The 3rd property surveyor is never appointed by anyone however the Act offers the individual so picked the very same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

Third surveyors are most typically hired where the two surveyors have actually reached an impasse in their considerations over some particular point and often this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the costs of the surveyor appointed by the adjacent owner. Seldom will a 3rd property surveyor be asked to draw up an award in respect of the whole works but might join with one or other of the two surveyors to do so if the requirement arises.

There is no meaning of who can be a surveyor, however it must not be the same individual that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the fees for the preparation of the award and assessment of the works to make sure that they comply with the works, and who will pay for the works. If the work is solely for the advantage of the building owner, then they will usually be required to pay the costs and the cost of the works.

If they disagree with the award, parties have 14 days to appeal to the county court.

The Act enables access to the adjacent residential or commercial property for the purposes of performing the works whether the adjoining owner gives permission or not, however they must be provided 2 week notification.

NB: The introduction of The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 indicates that from 6 April 2016, notifications and other documents can be served by electronic interactions.

The info that Discovers need to supply in respect of works covered the above areas is different in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Section 6 Notifications are set out in those sections but the requirements of a Notification relating to Section 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. A valid disagreement can still emerge, and surveyors be appointed in accordance with Area 10, in regard of works notified under that area but only as regards real dissent on specific grounds. An adjacent owner’s factors for disputing Area 2 and Section 6 works are rarely specified prior to the visit of property surveyors and in numerous cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually occurred, whether real or deemed, both owners are legally obliged to appoint an agreed surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a single individual, a surveyor each and if asked for to make such an appointment by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the demand being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web