Faulkners Surveyors Bristol

If you’re planning to undertake construction work on a shared boundary with your neighbour, you might need a party wall agreement.

It’s a legal document that outlines the responsibilities and rights of both parties involved in the construction process.


My Neighbour is Having an Extension, Do They Need a Party Wall Agreement?

If your neighbor is planning an extension to their property, you may be wondering if they need a party wall agreement. Here, we’ll discuss what a party wall agreement is, when it’s required, and how it affects you.

Understanding Party Wall Agreements

A party wall agreement is a legal document between two or more neighbouring property owners in Bristol that outlines their rights and responsibilities regarding a shared wall or boundary. It covers work on or near the wall, including construction, repair, and maintenance, as well as any damage that may occur during the works.

Does Your Neighbour Need a Party Wall Agreement for Their Extension?

If your neighbour’s extension work involves building on or near a shared wall or boundary, they’ll need to obtain a party wall agreement. Some examples of extension work that may require a party wall agreement include:

  • Building a new wall next to or astride the boundary
  • Excavating within three meters of a neighboring building’s foundation
  • Cutting into a shared wall to insert beams or joists
  • Demolishing and rebuilding a shared wall

Advantages of a Party Wall Agreement

Even if a party wall agreement isn’t legally required in some cases, it’s still a good idea to have one in place. Here are some of the benefits of a party wall agreement:

  • Clarifies the extent of the work to be carried out
  • Defines the responsibilities of each party
  • Protects your property against potential damage during construction
  • Minimizes the risk of disputes and legal complications with your neighbor

How to Know if Your Neighbour Has a Party Wall Agreement

Your neighbour in Bristol is legally obligated to inform you if they intend to carry out work that affects a shared wall or boundary. If they’re required to obtain a party wall agreement, they’ll need to serve you with written notice. This notice should include details of the proposed works and their estimated start date, along with plans and drawings of the works.


If your neighbour is planning an extension that may affect a shared wall or boundary, they may need a party wall agreement. At Faulkners in Bristol, we offer a range of surveying services, including party wall agreements. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you and your neighbour in Bristol get a party wall agreement in place and ensure a smooth and stress-free construction process.