We are fully qualified professional Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Arrange of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us perfectly positioned to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner preparing a brand-new job or a neighbour who has actually been served a Party Wall Notification our knowledge and experience guarantees we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and talk with a Specialist Surveyor for friendly professional advice.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 is an allowing Act, insofar as it gives the owner of a property the legal right to carry out particular works that may otherwise constitute trespass or annoyance.

It also looks for to secure the interests of adjoining owners from any potentially unfavorable results that such works may have by imposing a requirement that all adjoining owners be given prior notification of them.

In addition, the Act offers a compulsory disagreement resolution treatment mediated by a statutorily designated property surveyor or property surveyors if neighbouring owners have concerns about the application of any proposal so alerted.

Particularly, such notification must be served where the owner of a home (called ‘the building owner’) means to carry out any construction work described in Sections 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Keep in mind that it is just those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is limited to the following:

The info that Sees need to supply in regard of works covered the above sections is different in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Area 6 Notices are set out in those areas but the requirements of a Notification connecting to Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. It is important to note that the validity of any notification not supplying all the pertinent details or served in the inaccurate manner, could be available to challenge in Court.

There is no basic type of Notification although lots of people use those published by the RICS or versions added to the explanatory booklet issued by the Department for Communities and City Government. Nevertheless, provided all the information needed by the pertinent area of the Act is present, a basic letter would be similarly legitimate.

Depending on the scenarios of any provided task there might be more than one adjacent owner on whom observe needs to be served in respect of the same work and, when it comes to deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner may be besides an immediate neighbour. It is constantly more suitable to go over the intended works with adjoining owners before serving them with official written notification – a proposal well discussed might reduce concerns enough to prevent a disagreement occurring and avoid the necessity to designate surveyors.

There are 2 exceptions where the need to serve notice might be avoided:

  1. De minimis works: The government’s explanatory booklet states that some deal with a party wall may be so small that service of notice under the Act would be typically considered as not necessary and give as examples works unlikely to affect the structural strength or assistance functions of a party structure or trigger damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical wiring or placing power sockets, and screws to support racks, cooking area cupboards, and the like.
  2. Functions under Area 2 of the Act supplied that written permission is acquired from all Adjacent Owners and Occupiers prior to work commences.

The 3 types of Notice are known, respectively as:

A party structure notification need to be served a minimum of two months prior to the date on which it is proposed to begin that work. The other 2 notices should be served a minimum of one month prior to work starting.

The necessary information which Sees need to consist of are as follows:

Most of the pro-forma notices in use consist of the following info as a matter of course no matter the type of notice:

Section 10 of the Act specifies that where an adjacent owner does not authorization in writing to works informed by the building owner under Areas 3 and 6, both parties should either settle on the visit of a single property surveyor to act for both of them (known as the Agreed Property Surveyor), or each select their own property surveyor, to identify by award matters in dispute between the parties.

Where a task is straightforward, this might only include consideration of the time and manner in which those works are to be performed. In more complex schemes, believed will have to be given to a commensurately greater number of factors and indeed designated surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in regard of any matter gotten in touch with any work to which the act relates.

The same treatment is utilized to fix any subsequent disputes in between neighbouring owners that might emerge in relation to the alerted works, including any loss or damage suffered by an adjoining owner as a result of their execution.

Inaction on the part of the adjoining owner does not halt the statutory process. A dispute can emerge by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, interacting to the building owner an objection in respect of some matter developing out of or incidental to the works – the means of making that objection are not important, however if he remains silent, neither dissenting nor consenting for a duration of 2 week after having been served with a Notice under either Section 3 or Section 6, the Act considers a dissent to have actually arisen in any event.

There is no considered dissent provision in Area 1 of the Act. A legitimate disagreement can still occur, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Area 10, in respect of works notified under that area but just as concerns actual dissent on particular premises. An adjoining owner’s factors for contesting Section 2 and Area 6 works are hardly ever specified prior to the visit of property surveyors and in a lot of cases not even then.

Where dissent has actually occurred, whether real or deemed, both owners are lawfully required to select an agreed surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a bachelor, a property surveyor each and if asked for to make such an appointment by the other party, should do so within 10 days of the demand being served. Failure to comply, immediately gives the owner making the demand the statutory authority to designate a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This treatment is set out in section 10( 4) of the Act.

Where two property surveyors are appointed, they are obliged to agree upon the selection, in composing, of a third property surveyor who might be called upon by either of the surveyors or either of the parties to identify the challenged matters and make the needed award. The third surveyor is never ever selected by anybody but the Act provides the person so selected the same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

Third property surveyors are most commonly called upon where the two surveyors have reached a deadlock in their deliberations over some specific point and typically this can be in regard on the reasonableness of the charges of the surveyor designated by the adjacent owner. Rarely will a 3rd surveyor be asked to prepare an award in regard of the whole works but may accompany one or other of the two surveyors to do so if the need emerges.

There is no definition of who can be a surveyor, however it should not be the same person that will monitor the works.

The award will set out the works that can be performed, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and evaluation of the works to guarantee that they comply with the works, and who will pay for the works. They will normally be required to pay the charges and the cost of the works if the work is entirely for the benefit of the building owner.

Celebrations have 2 week to appeal to the county court if they disagree with the award.

The Act permits access to the adjoining home for the purposes of carrying out the works whether the adjacent owner allows or not, however they need to be given 14 days notification.

NB: The intro of The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 implies that from 6 April 2016, notices and other files can be served by electronic interactions.

The info that Sees should provide in respect of works covered the above areas is various in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those areas however the requirements of a Notice relating to Section 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. A valid disagreement can still develop, and property surveyors be appointed in accordance with Area 10, in respect of works informed under that area however just as relates to real dissent on specific grounds. An adjacent owner’s factors for challenging Area 2 and Area 6 works are seldom defined prior to the appointment of property surveyors and in numerous cases not even then.

Where dissent has developed, whether actual or considered, both owners are legally required to appoint an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a single individual, a surveyor each and if requested to make such a consultation by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the demand being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web