We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have more than twenty five years experience of operating in UK, acting for experts, services, in addition to for people.

Each brief is special, and our dedicated team of party wall surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of concerns associating with party walls. We are proud to provide a bespoke service to match the differing requirements of our customers.

This website is created to supply standard details along with using you the opportunity to call us directly with your issues and requirements, therefore enabling our specialist Party Wall Surveyors to encourage you appropriately.

The current legislation handling party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, which governs the rights and commitments of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, surrounding excavations and/or structures (consisting of stacked structures).

Our team of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors supplies an unique specific niche service, which enables you to have the best quality service at competitively priced costs.

For more details contact one of our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall property surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many individuals wanting to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise understand it can be a daunting process for those that have actually not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which aims to provide a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to perform particular specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to avoid or reduce disputes by ensuring homeowner inform their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for dealing with disputes and allowing works to proceed. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will identify the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally different buildings belonging to various owners however might include garden walls constructed astride a boundary– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size structures frequently just the part that is utilized by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included since the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is utilized or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjacent lands, however does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached solely by different entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain items of work that you can just be done after informing the adjoining owners and either getting written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not restricted to):.

Notices are also needed if it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall property surveyor will typically have the ability to confirm which work is notifiable and guidance the notification duration and kind of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain specific kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It must not be viewed as a technique of objecting to or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is usually agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The operations of the Act are always prompted by the of providing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the issue of legitimate notifications, no further action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Composed notification needs to be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will likewise require a notification to adjoining owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notifications need to consist of the following information as a minimum:.

It is essential to include the correct details on a notice as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Reactions To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has three possible courses of action:.

If the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a considered dispute is stated to have happened and the person bring out the work needs to select a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners offer written grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no disagreement to solve and no further requirement for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notice is triggered, then no further involvement is needed.

Solving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no response is received and a deemed dissent has actually emerged) then a disagreement has actually happened which should be resolved under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth restating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it uses a route to end disputes at every stage. Where written contract is not provided, the solution the Act provides is for both parties to select an ‘concurred property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a property surveyor who in turn designate a third property surveyor. The surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work may continue. The property surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notifications and structural information of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will draw up an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape-record the condition of the pertinent part of adjoining property before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about good practice and is properly supplied by the majority of excellent property surveyors). The award might likewise approve access to both homes so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can check work in development.

Usually, the structure owner who began the work pays for all expenditures of work and the reasonable costs sustained by all parties as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that many people wanting to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which intends to provide an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out certain specific works, consisting of work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who may be affected by that work. Composed notification needs to be served on adjoining owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web