Faulkners Surveyors Banstead

If you’re planning to undertake construction work on a shared boundary with your neighbour, you might need a party wall agreement.

It’s a legal document that outlines the responsibilities and rights of both parties involved in the construction process.


Understanding Party Wall Surveying Costs: Who Pays?

If you are planning any building works that involve a shared wall or boundary in Banstead, you may need to adhere to the Party Wall Act 1996. This legislation ensures that neighbouring properties are protected during building works and sets out the responsibilities of property owners.

One common question that arises during the Party Wall process is who pays for the surveying costs? In this article, we will delve deeper into this topic and provide you with a comprehensive guide to understanding Party Wall Surveying Costs.

What is the Party Wall Surveyor’s role?

Before we answer the question of who pays for the Party Wall Surveyor’s fees, it’s essential to understand their role in the process. A Party Wall Surveyor’s job is to act as an independent third party to ensure that the interests of both property owners are protected in Banstead. They provide advice and guidance on the Party Wall Agreement and help to resolve any disputes that may arise.

Who pays for the Party Wall Surveyor’s fees?

According to the Party Wall Act, the property owner who initiated the building works is responsible for the Party Wall Surveyor’s fees. This fee covers the Surveyor’s time spent reviewing the proposed building plans, conducting inspections, and preparing the Party Wall Award.

However, in some instances, both property owners may decide to appoint a single Agreed Surveyor who acts for both parties. In this scenario, the cost is typically split equally between the two property owners.

What other costs should you consider?

In addition to the Party Wall Surveyor’s fees, there are other costs that you should be aware of when carrying out building works that fall under the Party Wall Act. These may include:

  • Structural Engineer Fees: If you are carrying out extensive building works, you may need to appoint a Structural Engineer to provide advice on the structural aspects of the project.
  • Building Control Fees: Building Control ensures that your building works comply with current building regulations. You will need to pay for their services if your project requires building regulation approval.
  • Contractor Fees: The cost of hiring a contractor to carry out the building works is a significant expense that you should factor into your budget.

In summary, the Party Wall Surveyor’s fees are typically the responsibility of the property owner who initiated the building works in Banstead. However, in some instances, both parties may agree to appoint a single Agreed Surveyor whose costs are shared equally. When planning building works, it’s essential to factor in other associated costs, such as Structural Engineer fees, Building Control fees, and Contractor fees.

At Faulkners Surveyors in Banstead, we have a team of experienced Party Wall Surveyors who can help you navigate the Party Wall Act and ensure that your building works are carried out smoothly. Contact us today for more information.