As distinguished Party Wall in Deal professionals, Faulkners Surveyors have been trusted for over 10 years to provide jobs and secure individuals’s homes in Deal and the Home Counties.

Party wall Deal matters

Party Wall

This info just applies in England and Wales.


If you’re a homeowner who has concurred minor repair works with a neighbour of a shared limit, you’ll need a party wall agreement for repairs. For more extensive works, you’ll need to serve a party wall notice.

What is the legal background to party walls?

The Party Wall Act applies to most work performed to party walls. If it uses, it indicates that you will need to serve notice of the proposed deal with your neighbour( s) and, if they do not consent to the work, you’ll have to designate a property surveyor to prepare a Party Wall Award.

If works to the party wall are so minor, that service of notice under the Act is not required (eg uncomplicated repairs, such as replastering, or cutting into the party wall to add or replace recessed electrical electrical wiring and sockets) you can use a simple Party Wall Agreement to tape the work to be undertaken.

What is a party wall?

The term “party wall” includes the following:

What works are covered by the Party Wall Act?

Types of notification.

When do you require to serve notice?

If your works are governed by the Party Wall Act, you’ll require to serve a party wall notice on every neighbouring residential or commercial property affected at least 2 months prior to the works start. As soon as notice has been served, you can use up to a year to start work.

Your neighbours might look for to stop your work through a court injunction or seek other legal redress if you start work without having actually first provided notification in the correct way.

What occurs after you serve notice?

Once notice about designated work is served, your neighbour may either:.

If, after a duration of 2 week from the service of your notice, the individual receiving the notice has not done anything, a disagreement is considered having actually emerged. Any disputes will be handled by a surveyor.

When do you require a party wall agreement or award?

You’ll require a party wall agreement if you’re going to carry out building and construction or changes which involve:

For more information, see the Department for Communities and City Government (Assistance for performing building work under the Party Wall Act 1996).

Current Weather at Deal

Related Articles

Learn More about Party Wall

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Our Office Location in Deal

Learning Videos

Follow us on Social Medias

Around The Web