Faulkners Surveyors Expert Qualified Resident Party Wall in Wallsend Surveyors covering Wallsend and the Home Counties. Unlike lots of others, we are full-time Resident Party Wall Surveyors carrying out hundreds of Party Wall projects every month without fault.

Party wall Wallsend matters

Party Wall

This details only uses in England and Wales.


If you’re a property owner who has agreed minor repair works with a neighbour of a shared boundary, you’ll need a party wall agreement for repair work. For more comprehensive works, you’ll need to serve a party wall notice.

What is the legal background to party walls?

The Party Wall Act applies to the majority of work performed to party walls. If it applies, it suggests that you will need to serve notice of the proposed deal with your neighbour( s) and, if they do not consent to the work, you’ll need to designate a property surveyor to prepare a Party Wall Award.

Nevertheless, if works to the party wall are so minor, that service of notification under the Act is not required (eg straightforward repairs, such as replastering, or cutting into the party wall to add or change recessed electric electrical wiring and sockets) you can use a simple Party Wall Agreement to tape-record the work to be undertaken.

What is a party wall?

The term “party wall” includes the following:

What works are covered by the Party Wall Act?

Kinds of notification.

When do you need to serve notice?

If your works are governed by the Party Wall Act, you’ll require to serve a party wall notice on every neighbouring property affected at least two months before the works begin. You can take up to a year to begin work as soon as notification has actually been served.

Your neighbours may seek to stop your work through a court injunction or seek other legal redress if you start work without having first given notice in the correct way.

What takes place after you serve notice?

Once see about designated work is served, your neighbour may either:.

If, after a period of 2 week from the service of your notice, the individual getting the notification has actually not done anything, a disagreement is considered having actually occurred. Any disagreements will be dealt with by a property surveyor.

When do you require a party wall agreement or award?

You’ll need a party wall agreement if you’re going to carry out building and construction or changes which involve:

To find out more, see the Department for Communities and Local Government (Assistance for performing structure work under the Party Wall Act 1996).

Current Weather at Wallsend

Related Articles

Learn More about Party Wall

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Our Office Location in Wallsend

Learning Videos

Our Social Networks

Around The Web