Faulkners Surveyors Salisbury

A party wall agreement can be required if you intend to build on a common border with your neighbour In Salisbury

It’s a legal document that outlines the responsibilities and rights of both parties involved in the construction process.



Are you in the process of buying a property or planning to make changes to your existing property iN Salisbury? If yes, you might have come across the term ‘surveyor.’ A surveyor is an expert in property surveying and offers essential guidance throughout the property buying process.

In this article, we’ll delve into the duties of a surveyor and whether you require a party wall agreement for your project.


 What Does a Surveyor Do?

A surveyor offers expert advice on all aspects of property and construction. Here are some of the primary roles of a surveyor:

    Conducting Property Surveys: A surveyor will perform an in-depth survey of the property and highlight any defects or potential issues. This information will allow the buyer to make informed decisions and negotiate on the property price if necessary.

    Providing Valuations: A surveyor will assess the value of the property and provide a detailed report outlining the market value, replacement cost, and investment value.

    Offering Expert Advice: A surveyor will provide expert advice on property matters such as building regulations, planning permission, and environmental impact.

    Overseeing Construction Projects: A surveyor can supervise construction projects and ensure that the construction work meets all legal and safety requirements.

What Is a Party Wall Agreement?

A party wall is a wall shared by two properties. If you plan to carry out any construction work that could potentially affect the party wall, you will require a party wall agreement. A party wall agreement is a legal agreement between two or more property owners that outlines the proposed work’s scope and how it will impact the party wall.

The agreement must be in writing and should include details such as:

    The type of work proposed
    When the work will commence
    How the work will be carried out
    Who will pay for the work
    The extent of any damage that could be caused

Do You Need a Party Wall Agreement?

You will require a party wall agreement if you plan to:

    Carry out any construction work on a party wall or within 3-6 meters of an adjoining property
    Excavate near an adjoining property
    Make structural changes that could affect the party wall

If you’re unsure whether you require a party wall agreement, it’s best to consult with a surveyor. A surveyor can assess your proposed work and advise on the necessary steps you need to take.


In most situations, it’s advisable to have one in place to safeguard your interests and those of your neighbour and avoid any conflicts over your property in Salisbury that might occur throughout the construction process.

Our knowledgeable surveyors at Faulkners Salisbury can explain party wall agreements to you and walk you through the procedure.