Faulkners Surveyors provide a range of building surveying services specialising in Party Wall Services.

We pride ourselves on our versatility and individual participation towards our clients requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening group of property surveyors with a wealth of know-how, skill and experience. If you are looking for a professional yet flexible method to all your home matters then call Faulkners Surveyors for an informative chat.

Our property surveyors are regulated by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and carry expert indemnity insurance to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

party wall

The Party Wall Act 1996

as it effects the garden

At first sight, it is easy to think that the 1996 Party Wall Act does not impact garden building and construction, however it does affect the building of boundary walls even if not part of structures and can likewise applies to deep excavations.

The Party Wall Act 1996 came into force in 1997, so it is now law and provides you rights and obligations whichever the side of the ‘wall’ you are on i.e. whether you are planning/doing work on a pertinent structure or if your neighbour is.

The Party Wall Act does not apply to limit fences.

The Party Wall Act does not affect any requirement for Preparation Approval for any work undertaken. Having Preparation Authorization does not negate the requirements under the Party Wall Act.

The Party Wall Act comes into result if somebody is planning to do work on a relevant structure, for the functions of the Act ‘party wall’ does not just indicate the wall between 2 semi-detached properties, as far as gardeners are concerned it covers:

For details of how the Party Wall Act impacts building work in general, have a look at this page.

Just like all work impacting neighbours, it is always better to reach a friendly arrangement instead of resort to any law. Even where the work needs a notice to be served, it is better to informally discuss the intended work, think about the neighbours remarks, and change your plans (if suitable) before serving the notice.

What garden work requires a notification and authorization.

The general principle of the Party Wall Act is that all work which might have an impact upon the structural strength or assistance function of the party wall or might trigger damage to the neighbouring side of the wall need to be informed. Advice must be sought from a local Building Control Office or expert surveyor/architect if in doubt.

Work in the garden covered by the Party Wall Act consist of:

Boundary walls

If the planned work on a boundary wall falls under the Party Wall Act, a notification must be provided to all impacted neighbouring celebrations. The notification needs to include (see sample letters in Part 5 of the Party Wall brochure):.

If the planned work is a brand-new boundary wall up to or astride the boundary line the procedure of serving a notification under the Party Wall Act is as follows:.

See below regarding what takes place in the event of a dispute/objection.


If the planned work is an excavation within the distance/depth covered by the Party Wall Act, the notification requires to be served a minimum of one month before the planned start day of the work. Neighbouring parties must give written arrangement within 2 week or a dispute is considered to have taken place.

See below regarding what occurs in case of a dispute/objection.

What takes place if a disagreement develops.

If agreement can not be reached in between neighbouring parties, the process is as follows:.

As soon as you have agreement.

All work should comply with the notice as soon as you have arrangement. All the contracts ought to be maintained to ensure that a record of the granted permission is kept; a subsequent buyer of the home might wish to develop that the work was performed in accordance with the Party Wall Act requirements.


Related Articles

Around the Web