Faulkners Surveyors offer a series of building surveying services specialising in Party Wall Provider.

We pride ourselves on our flexibility and individual participation towards our clients requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are an expanding team of surveyors with a wealth of knowledge, ability and experience. Then call Faulkners Surveyors for an useful chat, if you are looking for an expert yet flexible method to all your residential or commercial property matters.

Our property surveyors are controlled by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and carry professional indemnity insurance coverage to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wanting to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also comprehend it can be a difficult process for those that have actually not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to provide a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when developing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to perform certain particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce disputes by making sure homeowner inform their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a mechanism for solving conflicts and making it possible for works to proceed. It likewise requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically separate buildings belonging to different owners however might consist of garden walls constructed astride a border– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size buildings frequently just the part that is used by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not being part of a building) which stands on lands of various owners and is utilized or constructed to be used for separating such adjacent lands, but does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached exclusively by separate entryways or different staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can just be done after informing the adjoining owners and either receiving written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not restricted to):.

Notifications are likewise needed if it is proposed to develop a new wall on the line of junction (boundary line). A party wall property surveyor will generally have the ability to validate which work is notifiable and advice the notification duration and type of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain particular types of work and is permissive in nature. It ought to not be seen as an approach of challenging or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to minor jobs that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is normally concurred that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notice.


The operations of the Act are constantly instigated by the of issuing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the problem of valid notifications, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Written notification must be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners need to be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent residential or commercial property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise need a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notifications must include the following details as a minimum:.

It is important to include the right details on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise invalid.

Responses To Notifications.

On invoice of a notification, an adjacent owner has three possible courses of action:.

If the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a considered dispute is stated to have actually happened and the person carrying out the work must select a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners provide written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to resolve and no further requirement for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work proceeds as detailed within the notification and no damage is caused, then no more participation is necessary.

Handling Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is received and a deemed dissent has emerged) then a conflict has taken place which need to be resolved under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves restating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it uses a path to end conflicts at every stage. Where composed agreement is not provided, the service the Act provides is for both parties to select an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a property surveyor who in turn appoint a 3rd property surveyor. The surveyors then collaborate to agree the terms under which work may continue. The property surveyor( s) will examine the plans, notifications and structural details of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will prepare an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically tape the condition of the relevant part of adjoining property prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered good practice and is appropriately supplied by most great property surveyors). The award may likewise approve access to both homes so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in progress.

Generally, the structure owner who started the work pays for all expenditures of work and the affordable expenses incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of individuals wishing to bring out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “novices guide” which aims to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to bring out certain specific works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time protecting the interests of anyone else who may be impacted by that work. Composed notification must be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web