We are completely certified professional Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Arrange of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us completely positioned to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Building Owner planning a brand-new job or a neighbour who has actually been served a Party Wall Notification our understanding and experience guarantees we are constantly best prepared to help with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and talk to a Specialist Surveyor for friendly expert advice.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wanting to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction process. We likewise comprehend it can be a daunting procedure for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring structures, and new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to perform particular particular works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is developed to avoid or reduce conflicts by ensuring property owners alert their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a mechanism for solving conflicts and enabling works to proceed. It also needs that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or property surveyors will identify the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate structures coming from various owners but might consist of garden walls developed astride a limit– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size structures frequently only the part that is used by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included due to the fact that the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not being part of a building) which stands on lands of different owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjacent lands, however does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached solely by different staircases or separate entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain items of work that you can just be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not limited to):.

Notifications are also required if it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall surveyor will usually be able to confirm which work is notifiable and advice the notification duration and kind of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain specific kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It should not be seen as an approach of challenging or avoiding works and it is not intended to be applied to minor jobs that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is typically agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notice.


The operations of the Act are constantly instigated by the of providing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notices, no more action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notice must be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners need to be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will also need a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notices need to contain the following information as a minimum:.

It is essential to consist of the right details on a notice as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Reactions To Notifications.

On receipt of a notice, an adjacent owner has three possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not react within 14 days then a considered dispute is stated to have occurred and the individual bring out the work must select a surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjacent owners provide composed consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to resolve and no further requirement for party wall surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notice is triggered, then no additional participation is required.

Handling Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is received and a considered dissent has developed) then a dispute has taken place which need to be solved under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves reiterating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it provides a path to end conflicts at every phase. Where written arrangement is not offered, the solution the Act offers is for both celebrations to appoint an ‘concurred surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a surveyor who in turn appoint a third property surveyor. The surveyors then collaborate to agree the terms under which work may proceed. The property surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notifications and structural information of the works and, after considering the impact of the works, will prepare an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjoining home before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about good practice and is appropriately supplied by most good surveyors). The award may also give access to both properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can check operate in progress.

Normally, the building owner who began the work pays for all expenses of work and the sensible costs sustained by all parties as a result, this will include the surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of individuals wanting to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which intends to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to bring out certain specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who may be impacted by that work. Written notification must be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web