The Faulkners Surveyors is a professional Chartered Structure Surveying Practice that operates throughout UK. The Faulkners Surveyors carries out all aspects of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 and supplies the following services:

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many individuals wanting to perform deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise comprehend it can be an overwhelming procedure for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, uses his “novices guide” which aims to supply a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to perform particular particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is developed to prevent or minimise conflicts by ensuring property owners alert their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a mechanism for dealing with disputes and allowing works to continue. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically separate structures coming from various owners however could consist of garden walls developed astride a boundary– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size structures often only the part that is utilized by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included due to the fact that the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also include party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not being part of a building) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or built to be used for separating such adjacent lands, however does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached entirely by separate entrances or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can only be done after alerting the adjacent owners and either receiving written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (boundary line), notifications are likewise required. A party wall property surveyor will typically be able to validate which work is notifiable and advice the notice period and kind of notice needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain specific types of work and is liberal in nature. It should not be viewed as a technique of challenging or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to minor tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is generally concurred that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not need a notification.


The functions of the Act are always prompted by the of providing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the concern of valid notices, no further action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notification needs to be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notification and there are most likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise require a notice to adjoining owners living above or below.

Legitimate notifications must include the following information as a minimum:.

It is vital to include the right details on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Reactions To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not react within 14 days then a considered conflict is stated to have actually happened and the individual carrying out the work needs to appoint a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners provide written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to deal with and no further need for party wall surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within no damage and the notice is caused, then no additional participation is essential.

Handling Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is gotten and a considered dissent has emerged) then a conflict has happened which need to be resolved under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth reiterating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it offers a path to end conflicts at every phase. Where written contract is not provided, the service the Act supplies is for both parties to appoint an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a property surveyor who in turn select a third surveyor. The property surveyors then collaborate to agree the terms under which work may continue. The surveyor( s) will examine the plans, notices and structural details of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will prepare an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent residential or commercial property prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about good practice and is properly supplied by a lot of excellent surveyors). The award might likewise approve access to both homes so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in development.

Typically, the structure owner who started the work pays for all expenditures of work and the reasonable expenses incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of people wanting to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to provide an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when developing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to bring out certain particular works, consisting of work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. Written notice must be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web