We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have over twenty 5 years experience of working in UK, acting for professionals, businesses, in addition to for people.

Each brief is special, and our devoted team of party wall surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of problems associating with party walls. We are proud to provide a bespoke service to match the differing needs of our customers.

This website is created to offer basic details as well as offering you the opportunity to contact us directly with your problems and requirements, hence enabling our professional Party Wall Surveyors to recommend you accordingly.

The current legislation dealing with party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, which governs the rights and responsibilities of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, adjacent excavations and/or structures (consisting of piled structures).

Our team of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors provides a special specific niche service, which allows you to have the best quality service at competitively priced costs.

To learn more contact one of our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall property surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that lots of people wanting to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be a daunting procedure for those that have actually not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to carry out certain specific works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is developed to avoid or minimise conflicts by making sure property owners alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a mechanism for resolving disagreements and allowing works to proceed. It likewise requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will identify the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually separate structures belonging to various owners but could consist of garden walls constructed astride a limit– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size structures often just the part that is utilized by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of because the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they also include party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which bases on lands of different owners and is used or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjoining lands, however does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached solely by separate staircases or different entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can just be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either getting written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not restricted to):.

Notifications are likewise required if it is proposed to build a new wall on the line of junction (boundary line). A party wall surveyor will normally be able to verify which work is notifiable and suggestions the notification period and type of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain particular kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It should not be seen as a method of challenging or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is usually agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notice.


The workings of the Act are constantly initiated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the issue of valid notifications, no more action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification needs to be served on adjoining owners a minimum of 2 months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners need to be served a notification and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjoining home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will also need a notification to adjacent owners living above or below.

Valid notifications should include the following information as a minimum:.

It is important to include the right details on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Reactions To Notices.

On invoice of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

If the adjacent does not react within 14 days then a deemed disagreement is stated to have taken place and the individual carrying out the work needs to appoint a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply composed grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to deal with and no additional need for party wall property surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work profits as detailed within no damage and the notice is caused, then no further involvement is necessary.

Handling Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to concur the terms under which work might continue. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the plans, notifications and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will draw up an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically tape-record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent residential or commercial property before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered excellent practice and is properly supplied by many good property surveyors). The award may also give access to both homes so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in development.

Generally, the building owner who began the work pays for all expenditures of work and the sensible expenses incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will include the surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous people wishing to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, including work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. Written notification must be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web