We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall issues in UK. We have more than twenty 5 years experience of working in UK, acting for professionals, organizations, in addition to for people.

Each short is special, and our devoted group of party wall property surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of issues relating to party walls. We are proud to use a bespoke service to match the differing needs of our clients.

This website is designed to offer standard information in addition to offering you the chance to contact us straight with your requirements and problems, hence allowing our professional Party Wall Surveyors to encourage you accordingly.

The current legislation handling party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, which governs the rights and commitments of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, adjacent excavations and/or foundations (including piled foundations).

Our team of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors provides a special niche service, which allows you to have the best quality service at competitively priced fees.

For additional information contact among our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that lots of people wishing to carry out deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise understand it can be a daunting procedure for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which aims to provide an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to carry out particular particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce disagreements by making sure homeowner inform their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a mechanism for dealing with disagreements and making it possible for works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will identify the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally different buildings belonging to different owners however might consist of garden walls constructed astride a border– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size structures often just the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included due to the fact that the arrangements of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not becoming part of a building) which stands on lands of various owners and is used or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, however does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached solely by separate staircases or different entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can just be done after notifying the adjacent owners and either receiving written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not limited to):.

Notices are likewise needed if it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall property surveyor will generally be able to validate which work is notifiable and suggestions the notification duration and type of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain particular kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It needs to not be seen as a technique of challenging or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to minor jobs that do not affect the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is typically agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notice.


The workings of the Act are always prompted by the of issuing notifications. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the issue of valid notifications, no more action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Composed notification should be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners must be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent residential or commercial property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjacent home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will also require a notice to adjacent owners living above or below.

Valid notices need to include the following details as a minimum:.

It is important to include the proper information on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

Most of the times, if the adjacent does not react within 2 week then a considered conflict is said to have actually occurred and the person carrying out the work must appoint a property surveyor to act upon the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjacent owners offer written consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no dispute to resolve and no more requirement for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within no damage and the notice is caused, then no additional involvement is necessary.

Resolving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no response is gotten and a deemed dissent has developed) then a disagreement has actually taken place which must be dealt with under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves restating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it provides a route to end disputes at every stage. Where written arrangement is not given, the option the Act supplies is for both celebrations to appoint an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a property surveyor who in turn designate a third surveyor. The property surveyors then collaborate to agree the terms under which work might continue. The surveyor( s) will review the plans, notices and structural information of the works and, after considering the effect of the works, will draw up an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape-record the condition of the appropriate part of adjoining home before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered good practice and is duly provided by most great property surveyors). The award might likewise grant access to both homes so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can check operate in progress.

Normally, the structure owner who started the work spends for all costs of work and the reasonable expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of individuals wanting to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which aims to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to bring out certain specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who may be affected by that work. Composed notice must be served on adjoining owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web