We are fully certified professional Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Schedule of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us completely positioned to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Building Owner planning a brand-new project or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notification our knowledge and experience ensures we are constantly best prepared to help with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and talk to an Expert Surveyor for friendly professional recommendations.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (sometimes parti-wall or parting wall surface, likewise known as typical wall surface or as a demising wall surface) is a splitting partition in between two adjacent structures that is shared by the owners of each house or service. Normally, the home builder lays the wall along a property line separating 2 terraced residences, to make sure that one fifty percent of the wall’s density exists on each side. This kind of wall is usually structural. Party wall surfaces can also be developed by 2 abutting wall surfaces developed at various times. The term can be also made use of to define a division between different devices within a multi-unit apartment building. Very commonly the wall surface in this situation is non-structural yet created to meet established requirements for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many individuals wishing to carry out deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also comprehend it can be an overwhelming process for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “novices guide” which aims to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to perform certain specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is created to prevent or reduce disagreements by making certain property owners alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a system for fixing conflicts and allowing works to continue. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or property surveyors will determine the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally different structures coming from various owners but could consist of garden walls constructed astride a boundary– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size buildings typically just the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of because the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not being part of a building) which stands on lands of different owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjacent lands, but does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached exclusively by different entrances or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain items of work that you can just be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either getting written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (border line), notifications are likewise needed. A party wall surveyor will usually be able to confirm which work is notifiable and guidance the notice period and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain particular kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It ought to not be viewed as a method of challenging or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is usually agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notification.


The workings of the Act are constantly initiated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the concern of valid notifications, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification needs to be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners should be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent home and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjoining home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise require a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notices should consist of the following info as a minimum:.

It is vital to include the appropriate details on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On receipt of a notice, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

In many cases, if the adjoining does not react within 2 week then a considered disagreement is stated to have occurred and the individual performing the work should appoint a property surveyor to act upon the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners supply composed consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no conflict to deal with and no further need for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notice is triggered, then no additional involvement is essential.

Resolving Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to concur the terms under which work may proceed. The property surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notices and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically tape-record the condition of the relevant part of adjoining home before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered good practice and is appropriately offered by many good surveyors). The award might likewise give access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can check work in progress.

Generally, the structure owner who began the work spends for all expenditures of work and the affordable costs sustained by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the surveyors charges for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous individuals wanting to carry out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which intends to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, consisting of work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Composed notice must be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web