We are totally qualified specialist Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Set up of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us completely put to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner planning a brand-new task or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notice our understanding and experience ensures we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and speak to an Expert Surveyor for friendly professional recommendations.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

wall party

Party Wall Act

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 is a making it possible for Act, insofar as it approves the owner of a property the legal right to carry out particular works that might otherwise make up trespass or nuisance.

Nevertheless, it also looks for to safeguard the interests of adjacent owners from any potentially negative results that such works may have by enforcing a requirement that all adjacent owners be given prior notice of them.

In addition, the Act attends to a necessary conflict resolution procedure moderated by a statutorily designated surveyor or surveyors if neighbouring owners have concerns about the implementation of any proposition so notified.

Specifically, such notification must be served where the owner of a residential or commercial property (known as ‘the structure owner’) means to undertake any building and construction work described in Areas 1, 2 and 6 of the Act. Note that it is only those works that are covered by the Act and the scope is limited to the following:

The details that Observes need to supply in respect of works covered the above areas is various in each case. The requirements of Area 1 and Section 6 Notices are set out in those sections but the requirements of a Notification relating to Section 2 works is set out in Area 3 of the Act. It is necessary to keep in mind that the validity of any notice not offering all the relevant information or served in the incorrect way, could be available to challenge in Court.

There is no basic form of Notification although many individuals utilize those published by the RICS or versions appended to the explanatory pamphlet released by the Department for Communities and City Government. Nevertheless, offered all the info required by the pertinent section of the Act exists, an easy letter would be similarly legitimate.

Depending on the scenarios of any offered task there may be more than one adjacent owner on whom discover requirements to be served in respect of the exact same work and, in the case of deep excavations, an Adjoining Owner may be aside from an immediate neighbour. It is always more effective to discuss the desired works with adjoining owners prior to serving them with official written notice – a proposition well discussed might ease issues sufficient to prevent a dispute arising and avoid the necessity to appoint surveyors.

There are two exceptions where the need to serve notice may be avoided:

  1. De minimis works: The federal government’s explanatory booklet states that some works on a party wall might be so minor that service of notification under the Act would be typically considered as not required and give as examples works unlikely to affect the structural strength or support functions of a party structure or cause damage to the neighbours side of it, such as re-plastering, shallow chasing for electrical wiring or placing power sockets, and screws to support racks, cooking area cabinets, and the like.
  2. Functions under Section 2 of the Act offered that written authorization is gotten from all Adjoining Owners and Occupiers before work commences.

The 3 types of Notification are understood, respectively as:

A party structure notice must be served at least 2 months before the date on which it is proposed to start that work. The other 2 notices need to be served a minimum of one month prior to work starting.

The mandatory info which Sees should include are as follows:

The majority of the pro-forma notifications in use consist of the following information as a matter of course despite the kind of notification:

Section 10 of the Act specifies that where an adjacent owner does not approval in writing to works notified by the structure owner under Sections 3 and 6, both parties should either settle on the visit of a single surveyor to act for both of them (referred to as the Agreed Surveyor), or each appoint their own surveyor, to determine by award matters in dispute in between the parties.

Where a job is straightforward, this might only involve factor to consider of the time and manner in which those works are to be performed. In more complex schemes, thought will have to be provided to a commensurately greater number of elements and indeed designated surveyors have the statutory jurisdiction to make an award in respect of any matter connected with any work to which the act relates.

The same treatment is utilized to resolve any subsequent conflicts in between neighbouring owners that may arise in relation to the alerted works, consisting of any loss or damage suffered by an adjoining owner as a result of their execution.

Inactiveness on the part of the adjacent owner does not stop the statutory process. A dispute can develop by an adjoining owner actively dissenting, that is, interacting to the structure owner an objection in regard of some matter arising out of or incidental to the works – the means of making that objection are trivial, however if he remains silent, neither consenting nor dissenting for a period of 14 days after having been served with a Notification under either Area 3 or Area 6, the Act deems a dissent to have actually arisen in any event.

There is no deemed dissent arrangement in Area 1 of the Act. A legitimate conflict can still develop, and property surveyors be selected in accordance with Section 10, in regard of works alerted under that section but only as concerns actual dissent on particular grounds. An adjacent owner’s reasons for challenging Section 2 and Section 6 works are rarely defined prior to the visit of surveyors and in many cases not even then.

Where dissent has emerged, whether actual or deemed, both owners are legally required to designate a concurred property surveyor or, if they can not jointly agree on a single person, a surveyor each and if requested to make such a visit by the other party, must do so within 10 days of the request being served. Failure to comply, automatically provides the owner making the demand the statutory authority to designate a property surveyor on behalf of the recalcitrant party. This procedure is set out in area 10( 4) of the Act.

Where 2 property surveyors are selected, they are obliged to agree upon the selection, in writing, of a 3rd surveyor who might be hired by either of the property surveyors or either of the parties to determine the contested matters and make the required award. The 3rd surveyor is never designated by anyone however the Act provides the individual so picked the same statutory powers as the two surveyors.

3rd property surveyors are most frequently hired where the two property surveyors have actually reached a deadlock in their deliberations over some particular point and frequently this can be in respect on the reasonableness of the fees of the property surveyor selected by the adjacent owner. Rarely will a 3rd property surveyor be asked to prepare an award in regard of the entire works however might accompany one or other of the two property surveyors to do so if the requirement develops.

There is no meaning of who can be a property surveyor, but it should not be the same individual that will supervise the works.

The award will set out the works that can be carried out, who will pay the costs for the preparation of the award and assessment of the works to make sure that they adhere to the works, and who will spend for the works. If the work is exclusively for the benefit of the building owner, then they will generally be needed to pay the fees and the cost of the works.

Celebrations have 2 week to interest the county court if they disagree with the award.

The Act allows access to the adjacent home for the purposes of performing the works whether the adjoining owner gives permission or not, however they must be given 14 days notice.

NB: The intro of The Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 (Electronic Communications) Order 2016 indicates that from 6 April 2016, notifications and other files can be served by electronic interactions.

The information that Discovers should provide in respect of works covered the above areas is various in each case. The requirements of Section 1 and Section 6 Notifications are set out in those sections but the requirements of a Notification relating to Area 2 works is set out in Section 3 of the Act. A legitimate conflict can still arise, and property surveyors be designated in accordance with Section 10, in regard of works alerted under that section however just as relates to real dissent on specific premises. An adjoining owner’s reasons for challenging Section 2 and Area 6 works are seldom defined prior to the visit of property surveyors and in numerous cases not even then.

Where dissent has occurred, whether actual or deemed, both owners are legally required to select an agreed property surveyor or, if they can not collectively agree on a single person, a property surveyor each and if requested to make such a consultation by the other party, need to do so within 10 days of the request being served.

Related Articles

Around the Web