Faulkners Surveyors offer a range of structure surveying services specialising in Party Wall Provider.

We pride ourselves on our flexibility and personal involvement towards our clients requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening team of property surveyors with a wealth of ability, competence and experience. If you are looking for a professional yet versatile method to all your property matters then call Faulkners Surveyors for an useful chat.

Our property surveyors are managed by the Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors and carry professional indemnity insurance to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wanting to carry out deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise comprehend it can be a challenging procedure for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which intends to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when developing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to perform certain specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is developed to avoid or reduce conflicts by making sure homeowner alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act offers a mechanism for fixing disputes and making it possible for works to continue. It likewise needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually separate buildings coming from different owners however could include garden walls constructed astride a limit– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size buildings often only the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of due to the fact that the arrangements of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they likewise consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not belonging to a building) which bases on lands of different owners and is utilized or constructed to be used for separating such adjacent lands, but does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached exclusively by different entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjoining owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line), notifications are also needed. A party wall property surveyor will generally be able to validate which work is notifiable and guidance the notice period and kind of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular specific types of work and is liberal in nature. It needs to not be seen as an approach of objecting to or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is usually concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notification.


The workings of the Act are constantly instigated by the of releasing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notices, no additional action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notice needs to be served on adjoining owners a minimum of 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notification and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will likewise need a notification to adjoining owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notifications need to contain the following information as a minimum:.

It is important to include the correct details on a notice as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Actions To Notices.

On invoice of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a considered disagreement is stated to have happened and the person carrying out the work needs to select a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply written consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no disagreement to resolve and no further need for party wall surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work profits as detailed within no damage and the notification is triggered, then no more participation is necessary.

Handling Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no response is gotten and a deemed dissent has actually developed) then a conflict has taken place which need to be resolved under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It is worth reiterating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it uses a route to end disputes at every phase. Where written contract is not given, the solution the Act provides is for both parties to select an ‘concurred property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a surveyor who in turn select a third surveyor. The surveyors then collaborate to concur the terms under which work may proceed. The surveyor( s) will examine the strategies, notifications and structural details of the works and, after considering the impact of the works, will prepare an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent property prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about great practice and is duly offered by many excellent surveyors). The award may likewise give access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in progress.

Normally, the building owner who began the work pays for all expenses of work and the reasonable costs incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will include the property surveyors costs for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous individuals wishing to bring out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to supply an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time safeguarding the interests of anyone else who may be impacted by that work. Composed notification must be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web