We are totally certified specialist Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Schedule of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us completely positioned to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Structure Owner preparing a brand-new task or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notification our understanding and experience guarantees we are always best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and consult with a Specialist Surveyor for friendly professional suggestions.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (sometimes parti-wall or parting wall surface, additionally known as typical wall surface or as a demising wall surface) is a separating dividers in between 2 adjoining structures that is shared by the owners of each residence or business. Normally, the builder lays the wall surface along a residential property line separating two terraced residences, so that one half of the wall surface’s density pushes each side. This kind of wall surface is usually architectural. Celebration walls can likewise be developed by 2 abutting walls constructed at various times. The term can be also utilized to explain a division between separate devices within a multi-unit apartment building. Really commonly the wall surface in this situation is non-structural however made to meet well established criteria for audio and/or fire defense, i.e. a firewall software.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wishing to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also comprehend it can be a difficult procedure for those that have actually not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to provide an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to perform particular specific works, including work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to avoid or minimise disagreements by making sure property owners notify their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a system for fixing disputes and enabling works to proceed. It also needs that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls normally different buildings coming from various owners but might consist of garden walls constructed astride a border– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size structures frequently only the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of due to the fact that the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not belonging to a structure) which bases on lands of different owners and is used or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjoining lands, however does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the artificially formed support of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and also a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached entirely by separate staircases or different entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can only be done after notifying the adjacent owners and either getting written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not limited to):.

Notifications are likewise needed if it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall property surveyor will generally have the ability to confirm which work is notifiable and suggestions the notice period and type of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular particular types of work and is permissive in nature. It ought to not be viewed as a method of challenging or avoiding works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is usually agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notification.


The workings of the Act are constantly initiated by the of providing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the concern of valid notifications, no further action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notification should be served on adjoining owners at least two months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent home and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjoining property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise require a notice to adjacent owners living above or below.

Valid notifications must consist of the following info as a minimum:.

It is vital to include the proper information on a notice as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Responses To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjoining does not respond within 14 days then a considered conflict is said to have happened and the person carrying out the work needs to designate a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners offer composed grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to fix and no more need for party wall property surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work proceeds as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no further involvement is required.

Solving Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no action is gotten and a deemed dissent has developed) then a disagreement has happened which should be fixed under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It is worth restating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from taking place and it offers a route to end conflicts at every stage. Where composed arrangement is not offered, the option the Act provides is for both celebrations to designate an ‘concurred property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a property surveyor who in turn designate a 3rd property surveyor. The surveyors then interact to concur the terms under which work may proceed. The surveyor( s) will examine the strategies, notifications and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will prepare a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally record the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent property before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered great practice and is duly provided by a lot of good surveyors). The award might also give access to both homes so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect work in development.

Usually, the structure owner who began the work spends for all costs of work and the sensible expenses sustained by all parties as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that many people wishing to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late stage in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to bring out certain particular works, including work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who may be impacted by that work. Composed notice needs to be served on adjacent owners at least two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web