We are totally qualified expert Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Schedule of Condition reports and lawfully serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With workplaces in Central, South and North London it makes us perfectly placed to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Building Owner preparing a new job or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notification our knowledge and experience guarantees we are constantly best prepared to assist with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and talk to a Professional Surveyor for friendly professional guidance.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wishing to perform deal with their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late stage in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be a challenging procedure for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to perform certain specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is created to prevent or reduce disagreements by making certain property owners notify their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act provides a system for fixing disagreements and allowing works to proceed. It likewise requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate structures belonging to different owners but might consist of garden walls constructed astride a boundary– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size structures often only the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not being part of a structure) which stands on lands of various owners and is used or constructed to be used for separating such adjoining lands, but does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached exclusively by separate staircases or different entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain items of work that you can just be done after notifying the adjacent owners and either receiving written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not restricted to):.

Notices are also needed if it is proposed to build a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall surveyor will usually be able to confirm which work is notifiable and suggestions the notice duration and kind of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain particular kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It ought to not be seen as a method of challenging or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to small tasks that do not affect the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The workings of the Act are constantly initiated by the of issuing notifications. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of legitimate notices, no more action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notice needs to be served on adjoining owners a minimum of two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notice and there are most likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjacent home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will also need a notice to adjoining owners living above or below.

Legitimate notices must consist of the following information as a minimum:.

It is important to include the right details on a notification as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has three possible courses of action:.

If the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a deemed disagreement is stated to have taken place and the person carrying out the work needs to designate a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners offer written consent to the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to fix and no additional requirement for party wall property surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work earnings as detailed within no damage and the notification is caused, then no more participation is necessary.

Handling Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might continue. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notices and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will usually record the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent home before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act however is thought about excellent practice and is duly provided by the majority of good property surveyors). The award may also approve access to both properties so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can examine operate in progress.

Generally, the structure owner who began the work pays for all costs of work and the affordable expenses sustained by all celebrations as a result, this will include the property surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of people wishing to carry out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which intends to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to carry out particular specific works, consisting of work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. Written notification needs to be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web