Faulkners Surveyors is an independent firm of building property surveyors that specialise in the

Party Wall and so on. Act 1996 acting for Structure Owners, Adjoining Owners and as the Agreed Surveyor throughout London and the House Counties.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wishing to perform deal with their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also comprehend it can be a daunting procedure for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to perform particular specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or minimise conflicts by making certain property owners alert their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for resolving disputes and making it possible for works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate structures coming from various owners but could consist of garden walls developed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size buildings frequently only the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not becoming part of a building) which stands on lands of different owners and is utilized or constructed to be used for separating such adjacent lands, but does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed support of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached solely by different staircases or different entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are particular items of work that you can just be done after informing the adjacent owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not restricted to):.

If it is proposed to construct a new wall on the line of junction (limit line), notices are likewise needed. A party wall surveyor will generally have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and recommendations the notice duration and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to particular particular kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It must not be viewed as a technique of objecting to or preventing works and it is not planned to be applied to minor tasks that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is normally concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notification.


The workings of the Act are constantly initiated by the of issuing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the problem of valid notices, no further action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification must be served on adjacent owners at least two months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners should be served a notice and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjacent home and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjoining home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise need a notification to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notices must include the following information as a minimum:.

It is essential to consist of the right details on a notice as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Reactions To Notices.

On invoice of a notification, an adjoining owner has three possible courses of action:.

In many cases, if the adjacent does not respond within 14 days then a considered disagreement is stated to have happened and the person carrying out the work must appoint a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners supply composed consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to resolve and no further need for party wall surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work profits as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no further participation is required.

Resolving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no action is received and a deemed dissent has developed) then a disagreement has actually occurred which need to be resolved under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It is worth repeating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it uses a path to end conflicts at every phase. Where written contract is not given, the option the Act provides is for both parties to designate an ‘concurred property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a property surveyor who in turn select a third property surveyor. The property surveyors then collaborate to agree the terms under which work may proceed. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will prepare an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally record the condition of the pertinent part of adjoining property before work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about great practice and is duly offered by a lot of great property surveyors). The award may likewise grant access to both properties so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in development.

Usually, the building owner who began the work spends for all expenses of work and the affordable expenses incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors costs for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that many people wanting to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which aims to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to carry out certain particular works, including work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time securing the interests of anyone else who may be affected by that work. Written notification must be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web