At Faulkners Surveyors we carry out Party Wall Surveys by expert and experienced Party Wall Surveyors throughout the UK.

What is a Party Wall Award?

A Party Wall Award is a contract made between at least two neighbouring occupiers prior to the beginning of construction/building work which is to be undertaken to a party boundary or structure, or where works are being carried out in close proximity to a party border or structure. There are three main types of work which require a Party Wall Property surveyor to conduct a Party Wall Award and these are:

  • Line of junction (developing a brand-new wall on or along with a border).
  • Party Structure Works (works to an existing party wall such as cutting into, reconstructing, thickening etc.).
  • Nearby Excavation (excavations to a lower level within either 3m or 6m of an existing structure).

In London and across the UK, our knowledgeable industrial building property surveyors perform a series of professional surveying services consisting of Party Wall Studies (Party Wall Awards). At Commercial Structure Surveyors we conduct Party Wall Studies by professional and skilled Party Wall Surveyors throughout the UK.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wishing to carry out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction process. We also understand it can be a daunting procedure for those that have actually not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or minimise disagreements by ensuring homeowner alert their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act offers a system for resolving disagreements and making it possible for works to proceed. It likewise requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls typically separate buildings coming from various owners but could consist of garden walls built astride a boundary– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size structures frequently just the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the individual or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of because the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which stands on lands of different owners and is used or constructed to be used for separating such adjacent lands, however does not include a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating structures or parts of buildings approached exclusively by different staircases or different entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are particular items of work that you can only be done after alerting the adjacent owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to build a new wall on the line of junction (limit line), notices are likewise required. A party wall surveyor will normally be able to confirm which work is notifiable and guidance the notice period and kind of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular particular types of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a method of challenging or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to small jobs that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not need a notice.


The functions of the Act are always instigated by the of issuing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the problem of legitimate notifications, no additional action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notification needs to be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners need to be served a notice and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjoining home is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will likewise need a notification to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Valid notifications should consist of the following details as a minimum:.

It is important to consist of the right details on a notice as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Responses To Notifications.

On receipt of a notice, an adjacent owner has three possible strategies:.

If the adjacent does not react within 14 days then a considered disagreement is said to have actually happened and the person bring out the work must appoint a surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no disagreement to fix and no more requirement for party wall property surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work proceeds as detailed within no damage and the notice is triggered, then no further participation is essential.

Resolving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is gotten and a considered dissent has occurred) then a conflict has actually taken place which should be fixed under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It is worth restating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it provides a path to end conflicts at every stage. Where composed contract is not provided, the option the Act provides is for both parties to designate an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a property surveyor who in turn designate a 3rd surveyor. The surveyors then interact to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The property surveyor( s) will evaluate the plans, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will prepare an arrangement which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent home prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered excellent practice and is properly offered by many excellent surveyors). The award may likewise approve access to both properties so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can check operate in progress.

Typically, the structure owner who started the work spends for all expenditures of work and the reasonable expenses incurred by all parties as a result, this will include the surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous individuals wishing to carry out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which aims to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, including work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time securing the interests of anybody else who may be affected by that work. Composed notice must be served on adjoining owners at least two months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web