The Faulkners Surveyors is a specialist Chartered Building Surveying Practice that runs throughout UK. The Faulkners Surveyors undertakes all elements of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 and supplies the following services:

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many individuals wishing to carry out deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a reasonably late phase in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be a complicated procedure for those that have not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which intends to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to perform certain particular works, consisting of work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is developed to prevent or minimise disagreements by ensuring property owners notify their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act supplies a system for resolving disagreements and enabling works to continue. It also needs that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate buildings coming from different owners however could include garden walls constructed astride a boundary– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size structures typically only the part that is used by both homes is a party wall, the rest comes from the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the provisions of the Act are not limited to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not belonging to a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is utilized or constructed to be used for separating such adjoining lands, but does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached entirely by different entryways or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are particular items of work that you can just be done after notifying the adjacent owners and either getting written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (limit line), notices are also needed. A party wall surveyor will typically be able to confirm which work is notifiable and recommendations the notification period and kind of notice required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain specific kinds of work and is liberal in nature. It must not be viewed as a technique of objecting to or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to small jobs that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is generally concurred that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notification.


The functions of the Act are always prompted by the of releasing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of valid notifications, no further action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notice should be served on adjoining owners a minimum of two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent home and more than one owner of each property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will likewise require a notification to adjacent owners living above or below.

Legitimate notices need to contain the following info as a minimum:.

It is vital to consist of the right information on a notice as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Actions To Notices.

On invoice of a notification, an adjoining owner has three possible strategies:.

Most of the times, if the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a deemed conflict is said to have happened and the person performing the work needs to select a property surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjoining owners offer composed consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no conflict to resolve and no additional need for party wall property surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work profits as detailed within the notice and no damage is caused, then no further involvement is essential.

Handling Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no response is gotten and a deemed dissent has actually emerged) then a disagreement has actually happened which must be resolved under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It deserves repeating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it uses a path to end conflicts at every stage. Where composed agreement is not provided, the service the Act provides is for both parties to appoint an ‘agreed surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a surveyor who in turn select a third property surveyor. The property surveyors then interact to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The property surveyor( s) will evaluate the plans, notices and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will prepare a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent home prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered great practice and is properly offered by most good property surveyors). The award might likewise grant access to both homes so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect work in progress.

Generally, the building owner who started the work pays for all expenses of work and the reasonable expenses sustained by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the surveyors fees for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of individuals wanting to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when developing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at boundaries. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, including work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anyone else who might be affected by that work. Composed notification should be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web