Faulkners Surveyors use a range of building surveying services specialising in Party Wall Provider.

We pride ourselves on our versatility and individual involvement towards our customers requirements. Faulkners Surveyors are a broadening team of surveyors with a wealth of skill, experience and competence. If you are trying to find a professional yet flexible approach to all your property matters then call Faulkners Surveyors for an informative chat.

Our property surveyors are managed by the Professors of Party Wall Surveyors and carry professional indemnity insurance to cover their work.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wanting to perform deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be a challenging procedure for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which aims to supply an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring buildings, and new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to carry out certain specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time safeguarding the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is developed to avoid or minimise conflicts by making sure property owners alert their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a system for solving disagreements and making it possible for works to continue. It likewise requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will identify the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually different buildings coming from various owners however could consist of garden walls constructed astride a border– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size buildings typically only the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of because the provisions of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not belonging to a building) which stands on lands of different owners and is utilized or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjacent lands, however does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and also a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of buildings approached solely by separate entryways or different staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can just be done after notifying the adjacent owners and either receiving written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not restricted to):.

Notices are likewise needed if it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (boundary line). A party wall surveyor will generally have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and advice the notification period and type of notification needed.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to certain specific kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It ought to not be viewed as a technique of challenging or avoiding works and it is not planned to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is usually concurred that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not need a notice.


The functions of the Act are always initiated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notices, no further action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notice needs to be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notice and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining home and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or floor, will also need a notice to adjacent owners living above or below.

Valid notices need to contain the following info as a minimum:.

It is necessary to consist of the correct details on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise invalid.

Actions To Notifications.

On invoice of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

For the most part, if the adjoining does not react within 2 week then a considered disagreement is stated to have actually occurred and the individual carrying out the work should appoint a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners provide composed grant the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to resolve and no more need for party wall property surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within the notice and no damage is caused, then no more involvement is required.

Handling Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no action is gotten and a considered dissent has occurred) then a disagreement has taken place which must be dealt with under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It deserves reiterating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it offers a route to end disputes at every stage. Where composed arrangement is not offered, the service the Act provides is for both celebrations to designate an ‘concurred surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a surveyor who in turn designate a 3rd property surveyor. The surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The property surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally record the condition of the relevant part of adjoining home prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act but is thought about good practice and is duly provided by the majority of excellent surveyors). The award might also give access to both properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect work in progress.

Usually, the building owner who started the work pays for all costs of work and the affordable costs incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that numerous people wishing to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to bring out certain particular works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time securing the interests of anyone else who may be affected by that work. Composed notice should be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before starting any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web