We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have more than twenty 5 years experience of working in UK, acting for specialists, businesses, in addition to for people.

Each quick is unique, and our devoted group of party wall property surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of problems connecting to party walls. We are proud to offer a bespoke service to match the differing needs of our clients.

This site is created to provide fundamental details as well as providing you the opportunity to contact us straight with your problems and requirements, thus enabling our specialist Party Wall Surveyors to recommend you accordingly.

The current legislation handling party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall and so on. Act 1996, which governs the rights and obligations of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, adjacent excavations and/or structures (consisting of piled foundations).

Our team of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors offers an unique specific niche service, which allows you to have the best quality service at competitively priced costs.

To find out more contact one of our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall property surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many individuals wishing to perform works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We also understand it can be a complicated process for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which intends to offer a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a treatment to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to carry out particular specific works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce disputes by making certain property owners notify their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act provides a mechanism for fixing conflicts and making it possible for works to continue. It also requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually different buildings belonging to different owners however might consist of garden walls developed astride a border– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates two various size buildings often just the part that is utilized by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” implies a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which bases on lands of different owners and is utilized or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, however does not consist of a wall constructed on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached exclusively by separate staircases or different entrances;

What is covered by the Act?

There are certain products of work that you can only be done after informing the adjacent owners and either receiving written contract of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (however are not restricted to):.

If it is proposed to build a new wall on the line of junction (limit line), notifications are also needed. A party wall property surveyor will usually have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and advice the notification duration and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to particular particular types of work and is permissive in nature. It must not be viewed as a method of objecting to or avoiding works and it is not meant to be applied to small jobs that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is generally agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not need a notice.


The functions of the Act are constantly prompted by the of providing notifications. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of valid notices, no more action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Composed notification should be served on adjacent owners a minimum of two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners need to be served a notification and there are likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent property and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is divided into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or floor, will also need a notification to adjoining owners living above or below.

Valid notices need to consist of the following info as a minimum:.

It is necessary to include the correct information on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are likewise void.

Responses To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has three possible strategies:.

If the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a deemed dispute is said to have actually happened and the individual carrying out the work must appoint a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners offer composed grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no dispute to resolve and no additional need for party wall surveyors or, certainly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within the notice and no damage is caused, then no further involvement is required.

Solving Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might proceed. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notifications and structural details of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will draw up an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will typically tape the condition of the pertinent part of adjoining home before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered good practice and is properly supplied by the majority of good surveyors). The award may also grant access to both properties so that the works can be safely performed and the surveyor/s can examine work in progress.

Normally, the structure owner who began the work spends for all costs of work and the sensible costs incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will include the property surveyors costs for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that many people wishing to carry out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which intends to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a treatment to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to carry out certain particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. Composed notification must be served on adjoining owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web