Faulkners Surveyors is an independent firm of structure surveyors that specialise in the

Party Wall etc. Act 1996 acting for Building Owners, Adjoining Owners and as the Agreed Surveyor throughout London and the Home Counties.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (sometimes parti-wall or parting wall surface, additionally known as common wall surface or as a demising wall) is a splitting partition between 2 adjoining buildings that is shared by the residents of each residence or service. Usually, the building contractor lays the wall along a building line dividing 2 terraced homes, to make sure that one fifty percent of the wall’s thickness rests on each side. This kind of wall is normally architectural. Event walls can likewise be formed by two abutting wall surfaces built at various times. The term can be likewise used to describe a division in between separate systems within a multi-unit apartment building. Extremely often the wall surface in this situation is non-structural but made to fulfill well-known criteria for noise and/or fire defense, i.e. a firewall program.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many people wanting to carry out deal with their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction process. We also comprehend it can be an overwhelming procedure for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior surveyors, uses his “newbies guide” which aims to offer an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 offers a procedure to follow when constructing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out certain specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anyone else who might be affected by that work. The Act is designed to prevent or reduce conflicts by making sure property owners inform their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act supplies a mechanism for dealing with disputes and enabling works to proceed. It also needs that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or property surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are performed.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate buildings belonging to various owners but could consist of garden walls developed astride a limit– called party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 various size buildings often only the part that is utilized by both properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the arrangements of the Act are not limited to party walls, they likewise include party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” suggests a wall (not becoming part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or built to be used for separating such adjoining lands, however does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed support of which tasks into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached exclusively by separate staircases or separate entryways;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can just be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not restricted to):.

Notifications are also required if it is proposed to construct a brand-new wall on the line of junction (border line). A party wall surveyor will normally be able to confirm which work is notifiable and recommendations the notice duration and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain particular types of work and is liberal in nature. It must not be viewed as an approach of challenging or avoiding works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural integrity or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as fixing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not require a notice.


The workings of the Act are always instigated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notices, no more action can be taken under the provision of the Act.

Written notification should be served on adjacent owners a minimum of 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners need to be served a notification and there are likely to be circumstances where there is more than one adjoining property and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjoining home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Works to a party wall, or those affecting a ceiling or flooring, will also need a notice to adjacent owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notices should consist of the following info as a minimum:.

It is vital to include the correct details on a notice as, if they are deemed void, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Responses To Notifications.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has three possible courses of action:.

In most cases, if the adjacent does not respond within 2 week then a considered conflict is said to have actually occurred and the person carrying out the work needs to appoint a surveyor to act on the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjoining owners provide written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to deal with and no further need for party wall surveyors or, indeed, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within the notice and no damage is triggered, then no additional involvement is required.

Resolving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is received and a considered dissent has developed) then a dispute has actually taken place which should be dealt with under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It deserves restating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from happening and it uses a path to end disagreements at every phase. Where written contract is not offered, the solution the Act provides is for both parties to appoint an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to appoint a surveyor who in turn select a 3rd surveyor. The surveyors then work together to concur the terms under which work may continue. The surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notifications and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the effect of the works, will prepare an agreement which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the relevant part of adjacent property before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered excellent practice and is appropriately offered by most good property surveyors). The award may also approve access to both properties so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can examine operate in development.

Usually, the structure owner who started the work pays for all expenses of work and the affordable costs incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will include the surveyors fees for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We appreciate that lots of people wanting to bring out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “beginners guide” which intends to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act allows owners to bring out particular specific works, consisting of work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the exact same time securing the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Composed notice should be served on adjoining owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web