We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall problems in UK. We have over twenty 5 years experience of working in UK, acting for experts, businesses, along with for individuals.

Each quick is unique, and our dedicated team of party wall property surveyors is experienced in dealing with all manner of problems relating to party walls. We are proud to offer a bespoke service to match the differing needs of our customers.

This website is developed to offer basic details along with using you the chance to contact us straight with your problems and requirements, thus allowing our specialist Party Wall Surveyors to recommend you accordingly.

The present legislation handling party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, which governs the rights and obligations of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, nearby excavations and/or foundations (consisting of piled foundations).

Our group of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors supplies a special specific niche service, which allows you to have the best quality service at competitively priced costs.

For more details contact among our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that many people wishing to perform deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction process. We likewise understand it can be an overwhelming process for those that have actually not experienced it in the past. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, among our senior property surveyors, provides his “newbies guide” which intends to supply an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be impacted by that work. The Act is developed to prevent or reduce disputes by making certain homeowner alert their neighbours in advance of specific proposed works.

The Act provides a mechanism for fixing disagreements and enabling works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘concur’ in writing to the works, a surveyor or property surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls generally separate structures belonging to different owners but could include garden walls developed astride a limit– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size buildings often just the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” means a wall (not becoming part of a building) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or constructed to be used for separating such adjoining lands, but does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” suggests a party wall and also a flooring partition or other structure separating structures or parts of structures approached solely by separate entryways or different staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific items of work that you can just be done after alerting the adjoining owners and either receiving written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (however are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to develop a brand-new wall on the line of junction (limit line), notifications are likewise required. A party wall property surveyor will normally have the ability to verify which work is notifiable and suggestions the notice period and kind of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates only to particular particular kinds of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be seen as an approach of objecting to or avoiding works and it is not meant to be applied to minor tasks that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is usually agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are minor works and do not need a notification.


The operations of the Act are always instigated by the of providing notifications. This is the first stage of the process and, without the issue of legitimate notifications, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Composed notification should be served on adjoining owners a minimum of 2 months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjacent owners should be served a notification and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining residential or commercial property and more than one owner of each home (ie: if the adjoining home is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notifications will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats affected by the works). Works to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise need a notification to adjoining owners living above or listed below.

Legitimate notifications should include the following details as a minimum:.

It is essential to include the appropriate information on a notice as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Responses To Notices.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has 3 possible courses of action:.

If the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a considered conflict is stated to have actually happened and the person carrying out the work needs to select a surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjacent owners provide composed consent to the works as set out within the notices, then there is no dispute to solve and no further need for party wall surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Assuming work profits as detailed within the notification and no damage is triggered, then no more involvement is necessary.

Solving Disputes.

If adjoining owners dissent to the works (or if no response is gotten and a considered dissent has developed) then a conflict has occurred which need to be solved under the requirements of Section 10 of The Act. It deserves reiterating that the Act is among enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it offers a path to end conflicts at every stage. Where written arrangement is not provided, the service the Act offers is for both parties to designate an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to designate a property surveyor who in turn appoint a 3rd property surveyor. The property surveyors then interact to concur the terms under which work may continue. The property surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notifications and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will draw up a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be performed (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will normally tape-record the condition of the relevant part of adjacent property prior to work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered good practice and is duly provided by a lot of excellent property surveyors). The award might also grant access to both properties so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can examine operate in development.

Usually, the building owner who began the work spends for all expenditures of work and the reasonable expenses incurred by all parties as a result, this will include the property surveyors fees for both Building Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of individuals wishing to bring out works on their property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which intends to supply an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when constructing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and new walls at boundaries. The Act permits owners to bring out certain specific works, consisting of work to the full density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time protecting the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. Written notice needs to be served on adjacent owners at least two months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web