We are totally qualified expert Party Wall Surveyors with years of experience producing Arrange of Condition reports and legally serving Party Wall Agreements and Notices.

With offices in Central, South and North London it makes us completely placed to serve Greater London and the surrounding counties.

Whether you’re a Building Owner planning a brand-new job or a neighbour who has been served a Party Wall Notification our knowledge and experience guarantees we are constantly best prepared to help with your Party Wall requirements.

Call now and speak to a Professional Surveyor for friendly professional suggestions.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (sometimes parti-wall or parting wall surface, also known as typical wall surface or as a demising wall) is a splitting dividers between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the residents of each residence or organization. Normally, the builder lays the wall surface along a residential property line separating 2 terraced houses, to make sure that one half of the wall surface’s density rests on each side. This sort of wall surface is usually structural. Celebration wall surfaces can likewise be created by two abutting walls developed at various times. The term can be likewise made use of to define a division in between separate devices within a multi-unit house complicated. Extremely typically the wall in this situation is non-structural but developed to fulfill recognized standards for sound and/or fire defense, i.e. a firewall program.

Party Wall


We appreciate that many individuals wishing to perform deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction procedure. We also understand it can be a daunting procedure for those that have not experienced it previously. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior property surveyors, offers his “newbies guide” which aims to provide a summary understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when developing work involves a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near neighbouring structures, and brand-new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out particular particular works, consisting of work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be affected by that work. The Act is created to prevent or minimise conflicts by ensuring homeowner notify their neighbours in advance of particular proposed works.

The Act provides a system for fixing conflicts and allowing works to continue. It also requires that, where the adjoining owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will determine the time and method which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls normally separate structures coming from various owners but could consist of garden walls developed astride a border– referred to as party fence walls. Where a wall separates two different size buildings frequently just the part that is utilized by both homes is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or individuals on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so consisted of since the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Section 20 of the Act specifies each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not being part of a building) which bases on lands of different owners and is used or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjacent lands, however does not consist of a wall built on the land of one owner the synthetically formed support of which projects into the land of another owner;

” party structure” means a party wall and likewise a floor partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached solely by separate entryways or different staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can only be done after informing the adjoining owners and either getting written agreement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works include (but are not limited to):.

If it is proposed to build a brand-new wall on the line of junction (boundary line), notifications are likewise required. A party wall surveyor will typically have the ability to validate which work is notifiable and suggestions the notice period and type of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain specific types of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be viewed as a technique of challenging or preventing works and it is not intended to be applied to small jobs that do not affect the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is normally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not need a notice.


The workings of the Act are constantly instigated by the of releasing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the issue of valid notifications, no more action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Written notice must be served on adjacent owners a minimum of 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners need to be served a notification and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjacent home and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent residential or commercial property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be required to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Works to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will also require a notice to adjoining owners living above or below.

Valid notices should contain the following info as a minimum:.

It is necessary to consist of the right details on a notification as, if they are considered invalid, then any subsequent actions are also void.

Responses To Notices.

On invoice of a notification, an adjoining owner has 3 possible strategies:.

If the adjoining does not react within 14 days then a deemed disagreement is stated to have occurred and the person carrying out the work needs to designate a property surveyor to act on the adjacent owners behalf.

If adjoining owners provide written grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to fix and no more need for party wall surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work earnings as detailed within the notice and no damage is caused, then no further participation is essential.

Handling Disputes.

If adjacent owners dissent to the works (or if no reaction is received and a considered dissent has actually arisen) then a disagreement has occurred which must be dealt with under the requirements of Area 10 of The Act. It deserves repeating that the Act is one of enablement, it is not there to prevent works from occurring and it provides a route to end conflicts at every stage. Where composed contract is not offered, the option the Act provides is for both parties to select an ‘agreed property surveyor’ who will act impartially or for each owner to select a surveyor who in turn select a third property surveyor. The surveyors then work together to concur the terms under which work might continue. The surveyor( s) will evaluate the strategies, notices and structural information of the works and, after thinking about the impact of the works, will prepare a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be carried out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the appropriate part of adjacent property before work starts (this is not a requirement under the Act but is considered good practice and is duly offered by the majority of good surveyors). The award might also approve access to both residential or commercial properties so that the works can be securely performed and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in progress.

Usually, the structure owner who started the work spends for all expenditures of work and the affordable expenses sustained by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the surveyors costs for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that numerous individuals wishing to carry out works on their home have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late phase in the pre-construction procedure. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior surveyors, provides his “beginners guide” which aims to provide an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a procedure to follow when developing work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring buildings, and brand-new walls at borders. The Act permits owners to carry out certain specific works, including work to the complete thickness of a party wall, whilst at the very same time securing the interests of anybody else who may be affected by that work. Composed notification should be served on adjacent owners at least two months prior to beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web