We are Party Wall Surveyors specialising in party wall issues in UK. We have over twenty five years experience of operating in UK, acting for experts, services, along with for individuals.

Each short is distinct, and our devoted team of party wall property surveyors is experienced in handling all manner of problems associating with party walls. We are proud to provide a bespoke service to match the varying needs of our customers.

This website is designed to offer fundamental information along with offering you the opportunity to call us straight with your issues and requirements, therefore enabling our expert Party Wall Surveyors to encourage you accordingly.

The current legislation handling party walls and associated matters is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, which governs the rights and commitments of those proposing work to party walls/structures, and/or underpinning thereof, nearby excavations and/or structures (including stacked structures).

Our team of Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall Surveyors supplies a distinct specific niche service, which enables you to have the best quality service at competitively priced fees.

For more information contact among our Faulkners Surveyors Party Wall surveyors on 03300100262.

Party Wall (WikiPedia)

A party wall (occasionally parti-wall or parting wall, also known as common wall or as a demising wall) is a dividing partition between two adjoining buildings that is shared by the occupants of each residence or business. Typically, the builder lays the wall along a property line dividing two terraced houses, so that one half of the wall’s thickness lies on each side. This type of wall is usually structural. Party walls can also be formed by two abutting walls built at different times. The term can be also used to describe a division between separate units within a multi-unit apartment complex. Very often the wall in this case is non-structural but designed to meet established criteria for sound and/or fire protection, i.e. a firewall.

Party Wall


We value that lots of people wanting to perform deal with their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a fairly late phase in the pre-construction procedure. We likewise understand it can be a complicated process for those that have actually not experienced it before. Here in Faulkners Surveyors, one of our senior surveyors, offers his “novices guide” which aims to offer an outline understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Act?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a procedure to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations near to neighbouring structures, and new walls at limits. The Act permits owners to perform certain specific works, including work to the full thickness of a party wall, whilst at the same time securing the interests of anybody else who might be affected by that work. The Act is created to prevent or minimise disputes by making sure homeowner inform their neighbours in advance of certain proposed works.

The Act supplies a mechanism for resolving disagreements and making it possible for works to proceed. It also requires that, where the adjacent owner does not ‘agree’ in writing to the works, a property surveyor or surveyors will figure out the time and way in which those works are carried out.

What is a party wall?

Party walls usually separate buildings coming from different owners but might include garden walls constructed astride a boundary– known as party fence walls. Where a wall separates 2 different size structures often only the part that is used by both residential or commercial properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the individual or persons on whose land it stands.

The “etc” within The Party Wall etc Act 1996 is so included because the provisions of the Act are not restricted to party walls, they also consist of party structures and party fence walls.

Area 20 of the Act defines each:

” party fence wall” indicates a wall (not being part of a structure) which bases on lands of various owners and is used or constructed to be utilized for separating such adjacent lands, but does not include a wall built on the land of one owner the artificially formed assistance of which jobs into the land of another owner;

” party structure” implies a party wall and likewise a flooring partition or other structure separating buildings or parts of structures approached exclusively by separate entrances or separate staircases;

What is covered by the Act?

There are specific products of work that you can only be done after informing the adjacent owners and either receiving written arrangement of the neighbour or with a Party Wall Award prepared by a surveyor/s.

Notifiable works consist of (but are not limited to):.

Notices are also needed if it is proposed to develop a new wall on the line of junction (boundary line). A party wall surveyor will generally be able to validate which work is notifiable and guidance the notification duration and type of notification required.

What is not covered by the Act?

The Act relates just to certain specific types of work and is permissive in nature. It needs to not be seen as an approach of challenging or preventing works and it is not meant to be applied to small jobs that do not impact the structural stability or loading of a party wall.

It is generally agreed that works such as repairing plug sockets, screwing in shelving or replastering walls are small works and do not require a notice.


The functions of the Act are always initiated by the of providing notices. This is the first stage of the procedure and, without the concern of legitimate notices, no additional action can be taken under the arrangement of the Act.

Written notification must be served on adjoining owners at least two months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations). All adjoining owners should be served a notice and there are most likely to be instances where there is more than one adjoining home and more than one owner of each residential or commercial property (ie: if the adjacent property is split into flats and owned on a leasehold basis, notices will be needed to both leaseholder and freeholder of all flats impacted by the works). Functions to a party wall, or those impacting a ceiling or flooring, will likewise need a notification to adjoining owners living above or listed below.

Valid notices must consist of the following information as a minimum:.

It is essential to consist of the appropriate information on a notification as, if they are deemed invalid, then any subsequent actions are also invalid.

Responses To Notices.

On receipt of a notification, an adjacent owner has 3 possible strategies:.

For the most part, if the adjoining does not react within 2 week then a deemed dispute is said to have happened and the person performing the work needs to designate a property surveyor to act upon the adjoining owners behalf.

If adjacent owners supply composed grant the works as set out within the notifications, then there is no conflict to deal with and no further need for party wall surveyors or, undoubtedly, the Party Wall Act. Presuming work proceeds as detailed within the notification and no damage is caused, then no further participation is necessary.

Handling Disputes.

The property surveyors then work together to agree the terms under which work might continue. The surveyor( s) will review the strategies, notifications and structural details of the works and, after considering the impact of the works, will draw up a contract which sets out the terms under which work can be brought out (the Award).

The Party Wall Award.

The award will generally tape the condition of the relevant part of adjacent residential or commercial property prior to work begins (this is not a requirement under the Act however is considered good practice and is duly supplied by the majority of great surveyors). The award may also approve access to both homes so that the works can be securely carried out and the surveyor/s can inspect operate in development.

Generally, the structure owner who began the work spends for all expenses of work and the sensible expenses incurred by all celebrations as a result, this will consist of the property surveyors charges for both Structure Owner and Adjoining Owner.

We value that lots of people wanting to bring out works on their residential or commercial property have the requirements of The Party Wall Act thrust upon at a relatively late stage in the pre-construction process. Here, Michael White C.Build.E MCABE MFPWS, one of our senior property surveyors, uses his “beginners guide” which intends to supply an overview understanding of party walls and the requirements of the Party Wall Act …

What is the Party Wall Celebration?

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 supplies a treatment to follow when building work includes a party wall or party fence wall, some excavations close to neighbouring structures, and new walls at limits. The Act allows owners to carry out particular specific works, consisting of work to the complete density of a party wall, whilst at the very same time protecting the interests of anyone else who might be impacted by that work. Written notification should be served on adjacent owners at least 2 months before beginning any party wall works (one month for works to the line of junction or excavations).

Related Articles

Around the Web